Chicken bullying? What to do when it goes too far?

loopycoops

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2022
Whoop Whoop, Tasmania, Australia
Hello everyone!
I'm in Tasmania (Australia), and attempting to breed Australorp chickens.
I've got several coops and runs, but having trouble with one small group.
I purchased 3x roosters and introduced them to 8 hens about 8 weeks ago. The roosters are about a year old, and the hens about 8 months or so.
All seemed well until it turned out what I thought was a hen turned out to be a rooster, and one of the new 3x roosters appears to have pecked it to death overnight. Nearly 100% confident it was a rooster and not a hen or a predator as my flock is locked up tightly and surrounded by electric chicken netting.
Several weeks later I heard an incredibly loud "owwwww owwww owwww" coming from one of the hens, and a rooster was pecking her back. I had a look and the rooster (or more than one, not sure?) had pecked a very large area of feathers away and you could see the flesh underneath.
I separated the injured hen and she is recovering very nicely. Before being separated, she wasn't getting out as often as the other hens to eat and I was worried she was getting bullied.
Unfortunately, it looks like two other hens are now the target (see photo of one of them).
When I went into the coop tonight, one hen was on the ground and was/is quite badly injured. Lots of feathers missing. I put her in with the recovering hen and it looks like she has an injury to her leg as well.
Is this normal?
I don't understand why there is such aggression going on here. I can only guess the main culprits is one (or more) of the roosters as previously mentioned.
What would you do?
There are now five hens that stick quite tightly with the three roosters, and none of those five appear to be getting pecked the way these others have.
Any help would be appreciated. Thank you!
-Richarda

Attachments

• IMG_2956.jpg
    IMG_2956.jpg
    733.3 KB · Views: 23
I think you have to many roosters. I would recommend no more then 1 rooster for that many hens. Pick the nicest rooster and if your still having problems I’d get rid of the rooster altogether.

The problem is, you have way too many roosters for eight hens. Too many roosters cause flock aggression, stress, and over-mated hens. For your purposes, you need to get rid of all but one rooster. I'd keep the rooster that is kindest to your hens and to you (bonus if he has good breeding traits).

The two hens were probably favorite girls and were over mated by all the roosters. Their feathers will all regrow with time.

The problem is, you have way too many roosters for eight hens. Too many roosters cause flock aggression, stress, and over-mated hens. For your purposes, you need to get rid of all but one rooster. I'd keep the rooster that is kindest to your hens and to you (bonus if he has good breeding traits).

The two hens were probably favorite girls and were over mated by all the roosters. Their feathers will all regrow with time.
X2

One rooster for 8-10 hens is plenty. I would remove any rooster who had pecked a chicken to death. Spend some time with them. Take out 2 roosters now. One good rooster will protect his hens, forage and call them to food, and will make the alarm sound when they see a hawk or predator.

I have raised some beautiful cockerels, but I will never keep one who hurts my hens or who is human aggressive.

Hello! Do you need that many roosters for eight hens? I'm claiming ignorance here since my flock is for pleasure. I have one rooster to ten hens and all the eggs are fertilized.
Thanks so much for that- I might try to reduce the number of roosters down to one and see if that helps. The first injured hen is making a great recovery, but the second one doesn't look like she's going to make it :(

Back
Top Bottom