Chicken Breeder in Wheatland, Ca Sick & Dead Chickens *Scammer*

My sweet girls

Chirping
7 Years
Jul 27, 2014
Very Sad Day šŸ˜­ Hard lesson learned
DO NOT BUY FROM THIS CHICKEN LADY.
Yes, I have better things to do with my life. Dealing with Liars and dishonest people isnā€™t one of them.
I donā€™t want someone else to experience what I have.
I purchased 8 chickens from a Lady (Betty Jo Browning) in Wheatland, Ca who claims to be very knowledgeable about the breeds she raises.
She sold us a blind 4 month old hen with respiratory problems and had to put her down.
now we have another sick one. šŸ’”
When I questioned her about the chickens eye closed while holding the chicken, she claimed it was the breed. I believed her.
Once the issues were discovered and brought to Betty Joā€™s attention she then said she did separate the chicken and knew something was wrong with it.
Betty Jo lied to me and was very cold and didnā€™t want to hear it. Denying she said it was the breed.
I would have returned the chicken if I didnā€™t live 2.5 hrs away. One way!
I should have know and will learn the hard way when I spotted a dead Polish chicken in her coop. Which she said happens all the time because there very fragile.
Betty Jo was very nice until we confronted her. She is a very dishonest person and will treat you terrible if you get a bad baby chick.
BEWARE AND DO NOT BY FROM HER!!!
I will now look for qualified breeders on the NPIP web site.
I mainly have videos as proof but not allowed here.

Attachments

• 494FC68A-FC87-4AA8-9E59-D385606E6D7C.jpeg
    494FC68A-FC87-4AA8-9E59-D385606E6D7C.jpeg
    549.2 KB · Views: 33
  • 3E1D4A5A-F8C3-4FEC-8CD9-542B02092260.jpeg
    3E1D4A5A-F8C3-4FEC-8CD9-542B02092260.jpeg
    853.5 KB · Views: 13
Good job sending out warning. Lesson learned! I got burned when I first started out but thanks to her I have mareks and my whole chicken experience is marked by that. Nothing I can do. I know it is everywhere in CA and it is heart wrenching disease. I got for years with no casualties then a couple die. Necropsy always shows mareks.

Ughh, this makes me so mad!:mad::tongue I will only ever hatch my own chicks and poults.
Good job sending out warning. Lesson learned! I got burned when I first started out but thanks to her I have mareks and my whole chicken experience is marked by that. Nothing I can do. I know it is everywhere in CA and it is heart wrenching disease. I got for years with no casualties then a couple die. Necropsy always shows mareks.

I definitely learned to not trust a breeders word and do my research and ask about vaccinations....etc
Along with checking their credentials on the NPIP Certified Breeders Web site.
Hard heart breaking lesson learned.

Thanks for the PSA. Being scammed is terrible. Assume she is not NPIP.

you can search the NPIP website for CA. It will give you a list of breeders/hatcheries in your state. They list breed codes, so you need to find the breed code list on the left side of the website.

alternatively, search fb for farm websites. Although animals cannot be sold on fb, many farms will have fb pages, especially if they sell to the public in any way. You might find a place close to you.

most simply, you can search google maps for ā€œhatchery near meā€ and you might get lucky. A ā€œhatcheryā€ will likely be NPIP as they are required to be if they ship live chicks.

Thanks for the PSA. Being scammed is terrible. Assume she is not NPIP.

you can search the NPIP website for CA. It will give you a list of breeders/hatcheries in your state. They list breed codes, so you need to find the breed code list on the left side of the website.

alternatively, search fb for farm websites. Although animals cannot be sold on fb, many farms will have fb pages, especially if they sell to the public in any way. You might find a place close to you.

most simply, you can search google maps for ā€œhatchery near meā€ and you might get lucky. A ā€œhatcheryā€ will likely be NPIP as they are required to be if they ship live chicks.

Back
Top Bottom