Chicken Breed Focus - Maline

Pics
I want to clarify that the cross that I am doing with the Langshan is actually just for meat birds. I DO have a pure Malines cockerel as well, and will definitely keep my pure stock intact as well. I started all this with the intent of having a larger meat bird that does well at our altitude, and free ranging, both for meat and eggs. :) I really enjoy breeding the more unusual breeds, but they MUST have a purpose for me. You will never find Seramas on my property... LOL Although I bought the Malines (and others) to use for cross-breeding, I am so enamored with some of the breeds, Malines included, that I plan on keeping those breeds pure, regardless of everything else. I have several breeds that I will always have pure breeding stock: Malines, Niederrheiner, Langshan, Marans, and Chantecler. :)

I want to clarify that the cross that I am doing with the Langshan is actually just for meat birds. I DO have a pure Malines cockerel as well, and will definitely keep my pure stock intact as well. I started all this with the intent of having a larger meat bird that does well at our altitude, and free ranging, both for meat and eggs. :) I really enjoy breeding the more unusual breeds, but they MUST have a purpose for me. You will never find Seramas on my property... LOL Although I bought the Malines (and others) to use for cross-breeding, I am so enamored with some of the breeds, Malines included, that I plan on keeping those breeds pure, regardless of everything else. I have several breeds that I will always have pure breeding stock: Malines, Niederrheiner, Langshan, Marans, and Chantecler. :)
Love your philosophy/plans for all your birds.
1f44d-1f3fb.png

StephWind, Love that you are using malines for crossbreeding. Most hopeful on results of your cross with Langshans. The Malines is a great building block to use for improvement and gain. I am looking for pure breed Malines hatching eggs. Who has the latest blood line available willing to ship to the U.S.??

Hey all, I'd just like to say that this thread has been a fantastic resource and I'd love to get some discussion going in anticipation of spring.

I've been flip-flopping around on which breed to focus on for the "pure" component of my mixed flock and decided it's going to be the Maline. I'm in Nova Scotia and have a source for chicks but will only be keeping the pullets from that source while looking further afield for a cockerel from an unrelated line.

Nova Scotia you say? Well, very good malines sources at Malines/Mechels Club of North America. Several great contacts for this breed. The only thing these birds lack is a faster growth and maturity rate. Canada has the bloodlines necessary and the U.S. does not as yet. This is a very good meat producer with excellent taste and flavor. I personally believe this is a great breed for experimental crossbreeding to improve growth rate and egg production. Because of their size, they lay some nice jumbo sized eggs. Some barely fit in an egg carton. Huge yellow yolks!

Nova Scotia you say? Well, very good malines sources at [COLOR=0066CC]Malines/Mechels Club of North America[/COLOR]. Several great contacts for this breed. The only thing these birds lack is a faster growth and maturity rate. Canada has the bloodlines necessary and the U.S. does not as yet. This is a very good meat producer with excellent taste and flavor. I personally believe this is a great breed for experimental crossbreeding to improve growth rate and egg production. Because of their size, they lay some nice jumbo sized eggs. Some barely fit in an egg carton. Huge yellow yolks!

Thanks for the link! I'm still working my way through potential sources for a cockerel but It may just be an addition for spring of 2018. For now I'll be adding a couple of Pullets to my mixed flock and may just do a Maline x Sasso cross in the fall since I'll be getting a doz Sasso cockerel day-olds on June 23rd, which may even make sex links depending on what kind of Sassos the feed store gets in. My current roo is a production red, which should make for some productive BSLs but the primary focus will remain on maintaining a pure bred component within the mixed flock while trying out some meaty hybrids over time.

Last edited:
@Our Roost the Facebook group has been great resource - thanks again! One question I haven't been able to find an answer to is "what colour is a Malines egg?"

Back
Top Bottom