Chicken Breed Focus - Maline

Pics
Haven't encountered that info in my own research. The Flemish cuckoo, Brahma, Large fowl cochin and a type of game fowl I forgot the name of for sure. I used blue orps because they taste good at any age and are extremely healthy. Hopeful for you!

I have just read this entire thread and others on Malines. You mention several times that these are slow growing birds, or slow to reach their mature weight. Breeding purposes aside, why not process them before they reach full weight? Personally, I am happy to cook with a 3-4 lb chicken. Shellz posted multiple weights that would show this breed can reach a live weight around 5 lbs (cockerel) somewhere around 12-14 weeks (these numbers from memory, I didn't take notes). Or would the muscle not be evenily distributed at this early age? I understand that many are focusing on saving the breed, and therefore culling so young might not be an option. Thoughts?

I have processed my cockerels from minimum of 16 weeks & up to 6 months of age without any detriment to meat quality. The only difference is size of carcass. I often had cockerels reaching 5 lbs processed, at 16 weeks of age. Add 1-2 lbs for live weight. Enough meat for a small family. 16 weeks was the minimum for us, as this was when our cockerels got some nice leg & thigh meat.

Last edited:
It is my personal opinion that Malines do not do well at all on organic feed. I've heard similar stories here in Ontario of others feeding organic to their birds, and they just don't get the same gains. It's the one feed regimen I have never used for any birds I've had. I see no reason to pay twice the money for even less benefit. I wish I knew the reason why they don't do well on organic feed, but I honestly don't know. Perhaps another factor to consider is parasite load. Rule out parasites & environmental factors, then think maybe the problem is the diet. The malines, in my experience, do best on the 15 - 20% protein standard poultry feeds, you can get at all feed stores. Exceeding these levels gets you no gains & just creates more stinky waste. I've also fed fermented feed, but your mileage may vary on that regimen. I didn't see much benefit with my birds though.

I'm not here to argue...just sharing my experiences, for what they're worth. Take it or leave it folks! ;)

StephWind, your birds are lovely! I look forward to seeing future developments of your breeding with the black Langshans. I had often thought of doing that myself, but got discouraged.

*edited to add - My mentor Bart feeds commercial poultry grower at 15% protein, from day one until done. That's his feeding program. Simple and yet it has worked very well for him.

**Kitchen scraps can be beneficial as a treat too.
1f609.png

Last edited:
StephWind, First off, read the headlines of the article you posted. TURKEY HEADS! Their development came after the Malines and yes the Langshans were introduced at that time. I will try to find the information related to birds used in creation of the current Belgium malines and not the Turkey headed version, okay? Not saying this choice for you is by any means not a good progeny to use. In fact, I like your choice. Trust the bird I am crossing with was not related to the Malines period but I also think it could be a good cross choice for other reasons I have already stated. Once again, good luck.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom