Chicken Breed Focus - Maline

Pics
Mine are now 21 and 15 weeks of age. I won't process any for a while yet as I want to be sure that I have the absolute best of the group for breeding. When do the girls start laying eggs? I have not yet set them up with nesting boxes as I assumed they would not lay until after 6 months of age or so...?

Thanks for the feedback. I have them on 17% non-gmo grower right now, and soak their feed. They're eating about 3#/day for the 10 of them (6 female/4male, 2 months old) and for the feed we're using that costs out to about 1.20/day. Does that seem about normal? I don't have them on the ground yet, but we're butchering the pekin ducks who are currently living in our chicken tractor today and the plan is to move the malines onto grass either later today or tomorrow. We have too many predators just to turn them loose. Racoons and ravens are bad around here, so the plan is to keep them safe in the tractor.

Trying to decide how many of them to keep overwinter for hatching eggs next spring. On the maline FB group they seem to recommend a 6hen:2roo ratio. I like the idea of keeping a backup roo but if we keep the 2 roos together will they fight? I was thinking about hatching a full incubator next march to grow out (42). I think 6 hens should probably produce enough eggs in the right amount of time, but don't have any firsthand experience with their laying pattern and of course it's going to vary a bit from hen to hen. If i stagger the hatches, i could do a 3hen:1roo ratio, which would be a lot less $ to keep them overwinter. I was thinking about trying to overwinter them with our hylines, but if they have a harsh pecking order, maybe that's not such a great idea! Has anyone had any luck keeping them in a combined flock with smaller breeds?

So far they seem like really sweet natured birds and i'm happy with them. Can't wait for a taste test this fall! :)

My Malines are 4 and 5 1/2 months of age. I picked up my largest boy and one of my larger girls today and realized that they are thin - not nice and plump like I expected them to be. I feed organic feed from Modesto and they have free choice access to their feed. They do free range, but it's not like they go far or fast. Everyone is healthy - no illness at all (most were tested by the NPIP testing program just a few weeks ago). What do I need to change? I will absolutely stay organic with their feed, but really need them to grow properly if I am going to be able to use them for meat eventually.

Finally got a few new pics of my Malines! Not the greatest but hey.

:love      I have had Malines for about 4 plus years now. Just to note on eating habits, They are satisfied with 16% crumbles and some occaisional scratch for a treat. They eat well but are not hogs like a few other breeds I have had. Keep in mind that these birds are slow growers and it takes a while for them to come to full weight for processing. Actually, about 19 to 20 weeks is average. I have found that roosters have heart attacks and seisures, and hens have a tough pecking order on the weak and unfit. Some hens will sucuumb and die as a result. Great full bodied birds and great tasting. Nice jumbo eggs with high yellow yolks. Enjoy and hatch many!

I have just read this entire thread and others on Malines. You mention several times that these are slow growing birds, or slow to reach their mature weight. Breeding purposes aside, why not process them before they reach full weight? Personally, I am happy to cook with a 3-4 lb chicken. Shellz posted multiple weights that would show this breed can reach a live weight around 5 lbs (cockerel) somewhere around 12-14 weeks (these numbers from memory, I didn't take notes). Or would the muscle not be evenily distributed at this early age? I understand that many are focusing on saving the breed, and therefore culling so young might not be an option. Thoughts?

My Malines are 4 and 5 1/2 months of age. I picked up my largest boy and one of my larger girls today and realized that they are thin - not nice and plump like I expected them to be. I feed organic feed from Modesto and they have free choice access to their feed. They do free range, but it's not like they go far or fast. Everyone is healthy - no illness at all (most were tested by the NPIP testing program just a few weeks ago). What do I need to change? I will absolutely stay organic with their feed, but really need them to grow properly if I am going to be able to use them for meat eventually.
How did these birds grow out in the end? I am very interested in starting a flock, and also only feed organic (actually grain-free as well!). I only read the first couple paragraphs of the article that Shellz shared, and it mentioned the deficiency that might be in organic feeds would show in the feathers. I can tell you that my current flock have the most healthy and beautiful feathering, but are all slow to grow, some considered dual purpose, but none are even close to a processing weight currently at 17 weeks.

Gosh, I had almost given up on following the Malines questions and quit providing input. I am still working with some crossbreeds from the Malines in attempt for gain and stamina. Undoubtedly they wont be pure but I may be able to retain some of their great qualities such as weight, meat quality, meaning dispursement of fat throughout the carcass for flavor. Trust that changing up feed types will not make these birds mature any faster than their genetics allow. Yes you may add a bit more weight to cull earlier if that is your intent with feed standards. These are not production food birds because of their growth rate! They are slow growers period! The end result is a delicate large sized bird with great taste and flavor compared to the chicken you are getting at your local grocery store. These birds can be known for health maladies and you have to stay the course when breeding better stock for the long haul. Its a rare meat bird with benefits that needs dedicated breeders to make it healthy again. Don't be afraid to breed in numbers and choose the best of your best results.

Last edited:
I love my girls, and still plan on breeding them for purebreds that are hardy and healthy... BUT... I am crossing them with my Langshan roo this spring for auto-sexing meat chicks to raise. The nice part is that I can sell off the girls as a barnyard mix, guaranteed pullet. :)

Back
Top Bottom