Chicken and ducks

hello, I've had chickens for several years and just added some ducks this year. Will they get on ok with the chickens? How slow should the introduction go between the established chickens and the new ducks once they are fully feathered?
it all depends. i’ve had ducks for eight years and chickens only for two I thought my ducks would be mean to my chickens since I only have three chickens and 11 ducks but it’s the other way around the chickens rule the barnyard the ducks run away from them still two years later, as if they have cooties. I do not have any males in my duck or chicken flock just all females but still, I sleep my chickens separately in their own little coop at night. now, I also have a couple of geese which does include a gander, but they are entirely separate from everyone else since they tend to be wannabe-murder-geese.
The biggest problem I have with chickens sharing the same daytime yard space as ducks is the feed… now they all eat a good all flock feed, but I also like to give my ducks some Mazuri waterfowl floating feed because they love it so much but apparently chickens like to peck little balls out of water buckets too

:welcome Sometimes integration goes smoothly other times one species may be afraid of or attack the other. One thing to watch for is drakes mating with chicken hens = this can cause serious problems.
Welcome. Agreed with @sourland, drakes have different body parts than roosters and can harm, even kill hens.

Back
Top Bottom