Chick with red butt and pastey yellow discharge. Hyper ventilating

Use a cheap thermometer on the floor where the chicks are to monitor temps. Those red heat lamps are very hot. Raise it or change to a lower wattage, to make sure they are in heat 90 degrees the first week, and decrease it by 5 every week of age. Always have a cooler area to escape to. Pasty butt can recur for a week or more once it happens, and it can be due to too much heat, dehydration, and shipping stress. Dip its beak to get it drinking fluids and eating some dry and wet feed. I wash the vent with warm soapy water, and dry well with a tissue. A dab of vaseline on the vent may help lube.
Ok. I was told to put monistat over bum, in case it’s a yeast inspection

She's likely too hot. No acv.
No mealworms.
Agree here! Take away everything except plain cool water and medicated fine ground chick feed. I grind mine in a coffee grinder or a mortar and pestle. Easier to digest for a system under stress. Raise the heat light until she gets directly under it to rest. If you have a thermometer that helps monitor cage temp.

My first brooded, which was the successful one, was a large rolling plastic storage container from Home Depot. And I mean it was the biggest they had… like 70 gallons or something. After that I got a chick starter kit from my local feed store and a big ole bag of medium coarseness pine bedding which I changed once a week. Second attempt, I just wanted to add a couple of guineas so I tried using a large guinea pig cage I had laying around neither one made it. Apparently what ever the first one had was contagious as right after it died, a day after I brought it home, the second one keeled over dead. Apparently that was a horrible idea and I won’t repeat it.

Back
Top Bottom