Chick with red butt and pastey yellow discharge. Hyper ventilating

Mar 10, 2024
She also smells really bad. I’m cleaning periodically through the day. Hyper ventilating when under heat lamp

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    330.1 KB · Views: 51
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    312.6 KB · Views: 9
I’ve got her quarantined above the other two chicks in a little hutch I made and have both zip tied to the side of the enclosure and resting on the little house I put in for them to get out of the heat lamp. She can get in direct heat lamp or shade and I’m using espresso cups for her food and water and there’s rooster booster in there as well… I have meal worms I can breakup to try and get her to eat. I think she’s drinking still cause she’s around the water pretty constantly.

Attachments

• IMG_0551.jpeg
    IMG_0551.jpeg
    565.8 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0550.jpeg
    IMG_0550.jpeg
    381.5 KB · Views: 9
I was thinking too hot as well. Do they have a cool area to go if they need too? Since that's how they regulate temperatures it's important she can get cool when she needs too then be able to warm as she needs. They will go back and forth.

She's likely too hot. No acv.
No mealworms.

I was thinking too hot as well. Do they have a cool area to go if they need too? Since that's how they regulate temperatures it's important she can get cool when she needs too then be able to warm as she needs. They will go back and forth.
Yes, I put a little house in the cage to give them a shady spot but she refused to get into it. Since I’ve noticed the issue with her I’ve put her in a quarantine area that puts her higher in the cage and out of direct light. Inside her little hooch she can go up against the wall facing the light to get shade, and she can get right into the light by going to the opposite wall. If she looked like she’s trying to get warm I put a Tupperware container to stand her up higher and get her more direct light. Hyperventilating has ceased but she still jabs the butt problem

Yes, I put a little house in the cage to give them a shady spot but she refused to get into it. Since I’ve noticed the issue with her I’ve put her in a quarantine area that puts her higher in the cage and out of direct light. Inside her little hooch she can go up against the wall facing the light to get shade, and she can get right into the light by going to the opposite wall. If she looked like she’s trying to get warm I put a Tupperware container to stand her up higher and get her more direct light.
Shade doesn't mean anything in tank like that. Can you raise the lamp?

Shade doesn't mean anything in tank like that. Can you raise the lamp?
It’ll take a little red neck engineering but I can make that happen. I have a couple of concerns however, 1. the other two stay under it and I don’t want to make it cooler in the cage if it’s going to negatively affect the others. 2. We keep the house around 65 degrees Fahrenheit. 3. The affected one escaped her quarantine last night and has also sought refuge with their sisters directly under the lamp. So obviously she was cold last night. Also, yes the front has glass but the sides are made of hardware cloth, so I’m not certain that the structure is holding heat the same way you think it might be.

Use a cheap thermometer on the floor where the chicks are to monitor temps. Those red heat lamps are very hot. Raise it or change to a lower wattage, to make sure they are in heat 90 degrees the first week, and decrease it by 5 every week of age. Always have a cooler area to escape to. Pasty butt can recur for a week or more once it happens, and it can be due to too much heat, dehydration, and shipping stress. Dip its beak to get it drinking fluids and eating some dry and wet feed. I wash the vent with warm soapy water, and dry well with a tissue. A dab of vaseline on the vent may help lube.

Back
Top Bottom