chick with no tail...what breed?

tball chicky

Songster
8 Years
Mar 10, 2011
Safford, AZ
I have a question: are Araucanas the only breed that has no tail?

I picked up a chick from a woman and she said that it was an Ameraucana hen X either a BR or BSL rooster. It has yellow legs, single comb, brown with black barring, and no tail. Now, I have 10 other chicks all within a week or so of this one and they all have tails of varying sizes.

Here it is @ 3 weeks
82226_dscf1331.jpg

again @ 4.5 weeks
82226_dscf1372.jpg

82226_dscf1381.jpg

today, just a couple days shy of 6 weeks, it (pretty sure it's a he) still has no tail and a much bigger & redder comb, plus the waddles are also starting to hang a bit.

If you have an opinion as to the breed of this chick, please feel free to leave it. Yes, I am aware of the differences in Araucanas, Ameraucanas, & EE's. I am just wondering if the lack of tail is just an Araucana trait coming through,

Thanks!!!

Yes, he is a bit bigger than the other chicks...however the white leghorn girls have passed him up by far.

As for his lack of tail, he does have what appears to be a "wanna-be" tail. About 1/2" long fuzz where a tail would be, but it's completely covered by his wing feathers.

Does he have a bump where the tail would come in? If so, he's just slow in developing his tail. Tailless birds don't even have a bump where the tail would be.

I doubt it's tailess. From the pic, I can't see, but does it have any kind of fuzzy knub? if so, it's an EE. Looks like an EE anyway.

It's NOT a pure Araucana. It has a single comb and yellow feet.

He does have a bit of fluff where a tail should be, so maybe one will come in. I am certain that he is not Araucana. I wasn't implying that I thought he was, only wondering if it was some rogue Araucana trait showing through.

From everything that I've read, EE's have greenish legs and a pea comb - this guy has neither. Do EE's frequently shoow up with neither of those traits?

Thanks for all the info so far. Oh and the owner of the chick didn't have any RIR.

Edited to add pics:

taken today @ just shy of 6 weeks

82226_dscf1439.jpg

82226_dscf1429.jpg

Last edited:
Yeah, it's not all that uncommon to see an EE with a straight comb, without muffs, or with yellow legs. Although, he is no Ameraucana cross. An EasterEgger cross, yes.

If he's got a fuzz knub there, I'd say he has a tail - it just hasn't come in.

Back
Top Bottom