Chick with leg problems, dosage?

BarnyardChaos

Free Ranging
7 Years
Apr 23, 2017
Richmond, MO
Hi @TudyBOT I have a chick hatched this morning, who isn't walking normally. It falls over to one side and appears to not want to use one leg. That leg has a swollen and inflamed hock joint. I've put it in a chick sling in a cup, and dosed it with two drops of Poly-Visol. I also have NutriDrench on hand. What could be wrong with the chick? What do I do to treat it? If I dose with the Poly-Visol or NutriDrench, which should I use? How often to dose the chick?

Hi @TudyBOT I have a chick hatched this morning, who isn't walking normally. It falls over to one side and appears to not want to use one leg. That leg has a swollen and inflamed hock joint. I've put it in a chick sling in a cup, and dosed it with two drops of Poly-Visol. I also have NutriDrench on hand. What could be wrong with the chick? What do I do to treat it? If I dose with the Poly-Visol or NutriDrench, which should I use? How often to dose the chick?
Hello! From what you're describing, it sounds like your chick may have spraddle leg, which is a condition where the chick's legs are not able to support its weight properly. This can be caused by a variety of factors, including genetics or an environmental issue, such as a slippery surface in the brooder.

To treat this, continue to keep the chick in the sling and make sure it's able to reach its food and water easily. You can also try using a small piece of vet wrap or elastic bandage to wrap the chick's legs together, which will help to keep them in the correct position.

As for the swollen and inflamed hock joint, this may be a separate issue. If you have NutriDrench on hand, I'd recommend using this - it can help to boost the chick's immune system and give it some extra nutrition. You can also continue to use the Poly-Visol for added vitamins and minerals.

For dosing, follow the instructions on the product label, but in general, I'd recommend giving the chick a small dose every few hours to start, gradually decreasing the frequency as it begins to improve.

Overall, it's important to monitor the chick closely and provide it with a warm, safe environment. If you notice any further issues or the chick's condition doesn't improve, it may be best to consult with a veterinarian who specializes in poultry.

The swollen hock tells me I s a slipped tendon instead of splay leg. If its still early you may be able to manipulate the tendon back into place. Once they start to grow and things harden up, its too late.

There are many videos but this one helped me.

I posted about our journey with slipped tendon. If I could do it over, Id make sure the chick was eating before I traumatized it with splints.

Back
Top Bottom