Chick with dried hard poop stuck to butt

Magnolia7330

Songster
Aug 13, 2016
Northern California
I received my 4 chicks yesterday. This morning I noticed one of them has hard dried poop stuck to her butt. I tried to gently wash it off, but it is too hard. I currently don't have running water until after 4pm today. What should I do? Thank you for the help.

That is know as pasty butt or pasting up. It can be fatal if not treated. Can you get some water out of your commode tank (not the bowl) which is clean, and warm it up to wash her bottom off with soapy water rubbing it with your fingers? A baby wipe would work also. Start dipping the chick's beak into water for a second, then letting it swallow each time. Check it daily, since it may happen again in the first week. Shipped chicks can get dehydrated and pasty butt is common. If you have some chick electrolytes and vitamins, use them in the water. Pedialyte works as well. A tsp of sugar dissolved in a quart of water can work too. As long as the others are acting alert, they should be fine, but make sure they are drinking. What is your brooder temperature?

That is know as pasty butt or pasting up. It can be fatal if not treated. Can you get some water out of your commode tank (not the bowl) which is clean, and warm it up to wash her bottom off with soapy water rubbing it with your fingers? A baby wipe would work also. Start dipping the chick's beak into water for a second, then letting it swallow each time. Check it daily, since it may happen again in the first week. Shipped chicks can get dehydrated and pasty butt is common. If you have some chick electrolytes and vitamins, use them in the water. Pedialyte works as well. A tsp of sugar dissolved in a quart of water can work too. As long as the others are acting alert, they should be fine, but make sure they are drinking. What is your brooder temperature?
Thank you for the help. Luckily, they just turned our water back on (early). I was able to run her rear end under some warm water and gently wash away the poop. I checked the heat plate in the brooder and it doesn't seem too hot. She has been drinking a lot of water and there are electrolytes in it. The other three chicks seem fine and no signs of pasty butt. I will check her again later and each day. Hopefully, that fixed it.

Thank you for the help. Luckily, they just turned our water back on (early). I was able to run her rear end under some warm water and gently wash away the poop. I checked the heat plate in the brooder and it doesn't seem too hot. She has been drinking a lot of water and there are electrolytes in it. The other three chicks seem fine and no signs of pasty butt. I will check her again later and each day. Hopefully, that fixed it.
Another tip is when you get it off, put some vaseline under the vent so it doesnt stick again.

Back
Top Bottom