Chick with broken ankle

HerbanChickenLover

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2021
A little over a week ago my Cochin hatched out an isbar chick. It was completely fine at least the first couple of days. I’ve been busy with my sick father and didn’t realize it had somehow broke its ankle. Today while feeding everyone I noticed it walking funny and see that it’s ankle is definitely broken. It must have happened earlier in the week because it feels as though it’s already healing and not pliable.

Has any one else ever had this happened? Is there anything I can do to help it? Under normal circumstances I would have noticed this immediately and been able to splint it or something. Now I’m not sure what to do…

Thanks I’m advance for any ideas!

Attachments

• 62966AC0-A811-4738-948F-66BD805C0A77.jpeg
    62966AC0-A811-4738-948F-66BD805C0A77.jpeg
    359.4 KB · Views: 15
  • 2148EFA4-27D3-43D5-BFA2-3DEAB69FC3BF.jpeg
    2148EFA4-27D3-43D5-BFA2-3DEAB69FC3BF.jpeg
    470.1 KB · Views: 5
A little over a week ago my Cochin hatched out an isbar chick. It was completely fine at least the first couple of days. I’ve been busy with my sick father and didn’t realize it had somehow broke its ankle. Today while feeding everyone I noticed it walking funny and see that it’s ankle is definitely broken. It must have happened earlier in the week because it feels as though it’s already healing and not pliable.

Has any one else ever had this happened? Is there anything I can do to help it? Under normal circumstances I would have noticed this immediately and been able to splint it or something. Now I’m not sure what to do…

Thanks I’m advance for any ideas!
If it is already healing, you would have to retreat it to right it. That is something that only a vet should do because they have the tools to do it without causing more damage.

That’s kind of what I was thinking, I just know that would be a huge vet bill that I don’t think I can afford at the moment. I’ve spent hundreds at the vet before for a chicken with an injured leg, only for them to tell me there is nothing they can do for it. I wonder if anyone has ever had a chicken that survived with an injury like this. Unbelievably it’s still walking around.

That’s kind of what I was thinking, I just know that would be a huge vet bill that I don’t think I can afford at the moment. I’ve spent hundreds at the vet before for a chicken with an injured leg, only for them to tell me there is nothing they can do for it. I wonder if anyone has ever had a chicken that survived with an injury like this. Unbelievably it’s still walking around.
If it can easily get to food and water and isn't being picked on then I wouldn't worry to much. It is still young and may even be able to thrive. Is the swelling I see In the pic getting better or worse?

Well I unfortunately just noticed it today so I can’t say if it’s better or worse. It looks like the ankle broke and it’s healing with the foot facing inward.

Well I unfortunately just noticed it today so I can’t say if it’s better or worse. It looks like the ankle broke and it’s healing with the foot facing inward.
The only thing you really can do if it is partially healed is to try and brace the foot in a more normal facing direction. I wouldn't be surprised if it did swell more though.

Back
Top Bottom