Chick just died in my hands and now I'm scared to go to sleep.

SAHMof2

Chirping
9 Years
Sep 11, 2010
Picked up my new baby chicks this a.m. and noticed a babe with closed eyes, jerking and panting. Held it for about 5 minutes and it was gone. First time I've ever seen anything die, so sad and now I'm scared I"ve done something wrong and they will all be dead when I wake up in the a.m.

sigh ...

I'm sorry
sad.png

Take a deep breath, and accept that it probably wasn't your fault. I had the same thing happen today when I brought home 10 newly hatched chicks. The drive was only 30 minutes, but when I got home 1 had died and two were not doing well at all...so they had to be culled. It's hard, but chicks are very vulnerable to many things when they are little so it was most likely not your fault.

All you can do for the other little ones is make sure they aren't cold/hot, and that they have food and fresh water. Other than that it's up to nature.

hugs.gif
I'm sorry you lost your chick. Sometimes chicks die for no obvious reason, this is why hens incubate so many eggs at once. The condition is referred to as "failure to thrive". All you can do is watch your remaining chicks for signs of illness.

Check their vents for caked poop as this is a common problem in little ones. Any with this problem (pasty butt) must have their vents cleaned as soon as possible. Search "pasty butt" if you want more info on treating the issue.

Last edited:
I lost several this year. It was to the point that I didn't want to go check on them for fear of what I'd find.
sad.png
Sorry for your loss. At least you were there to give it comfort during it's last minutes.

We got 4 chicks at Tractor Supply 2 days ago, one was much smaller and had a bad case of pasty butt. We tried to keep it clean but she seemed very lethargic today. I let her snuggle up in my hands on my chest and she slept...laid her down and she slept sprawled out seemingly panting. I held her in my hands and then she died. I know this happens and I'm a grown man, but it made me really sad. I was hoping she'd pull through. I'm glad I was able to be there to offer care and concern in her last moments and doubly glad she didn't have to die unloved in a big bin at a store. I feel like a big softy for feeling sad about a creature whose kin I ate for lunch today, but I respect life and hate to see any living thing suffer.

Back
Top Bottom