Chick hatched with intestines hanging out, do I cull now or wait?

EllieandOlive

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Aug 29, 2020
West Central Kentucky
This blue australorp hatched today. He was last to hatch and had a strange yellow-green foamy goo leaking out of his shell. (Seemed different than albumen). I thought he just hatched before he had absorbed the yolk fully but no changes in the last few hours, just laying there and peeping and kicking. On closer inspection his intestines are falling out of his vent! Either they formed wrong or severely prolapsed during hatch? The other chicks in the incubator are already pecking at him. Should I cull him now as he probably will be dead my morning? 😭😭 Is there anything I can do besides cull at this point?

Also posted in injuries forum.

Attachments

• 0519212304b.jpg
    0519212304b.jpg
    236.6 KB · Views: 191
Sorry about your chick. I would cull the chick now 🙁
It will die soon of infection or intestinal blockage. Best to put it down before it suffers.
I'll make my husband do it, bless him. It has to be spur of the moment, immediately necessary, for me to be able to cull. Thinking and planning it is hard for me.

This blue australorp hatched today. He was last to hatch and had a strange yellow-green foamy goo leaking out of his shell. (Seemed different than albumen). I thought he just hatched before he had absorbed the yolk fully but no changes in the last few hours, just laying there and peeping and kicking. On closer inspection his intestines are falling out of his vent! Either they formed wrong or severely prolapsed during hatch? The other chicks in the incubator are already pecking at him. Should I cull him now as he probably will be dead my morning? 😭😭 Is there anything I can do besides cull at this point?

Also posted in injuries forum.
I'm sorry but he will probably be dead by the morning. Best to end the suffering.

Back
Top Bottom