Chick Deformity?

ReseisCL16

Songster
9 Years
May 17, 2014
Yes, I've had the 'don't get the smallest weakest chick at the store' lecture, but this time I couldn't help myself. The tiny Leghorn was getting bullied.

I suppose I'm paying for it now. The chick can't walk, even though she tries. After an examination of her leg, I noticed that her hock was swollen and that she couldn't bend it very well. It seemed to cause her pain.
I've been dipping her beak in electrolyte water every few hours and I have her separated from the other chicks in a separate brooder. She hasn't eaten yet.
Am I looking at an out-of-place hock joint or a deformity? What should I do either way? Any help would be great!

I'm no expert, so don't expect help from me, but if you posted a picture, it would really help the experts help you.

EDT: I just looked at that sentence. My English teacher would have penalised me badly for that...

Photo necessary. However, I would not bring such a chick home. A deformed chick will be a failure to thrive chick. Even if she does survive, she is going to be the weak link in your flock. Behaviorally, at best, she will be at the bottom of the pecking order, and always bullied and picked on. At worst, she is going to be driven out of the flock, and possibly killed. Health wise, she is going to be the weak link in the chain. She is going to be the vector for internal and external parasites, and the most likely bird to get sick, which will place your other birds at risk. Before taking pity on a deformed chick, consider the risk it poses to the rest of your flock.

Back
Top Bottom