Chick born with deformed leg

Gracie_S

Chirping
6 Years
Jul 8, 2017
Hey all! I’m a relatively experienced backyard chicken keeper and I’ve hatched several batches of chicks, but a new issue has cropped up that I don’t know how to deal with.

I hatched a few silkie chicks about 2-3 days ago, and one of the chicks seemed to be having trouble standing even a few hours after hatch. The incubator was still in lockdown, so once everyone was dry, I pulled him out and it seemed like his foot was angled outwards instead of forward. I tried taping like you would for spradle leg (which I’ve successfully treated before) and we’ve been hand feeding him, since he really can’t walk on his own. Today, it appears to be getting worse and now BOTH of his legs seem out of alignment. He’s basically sitting on his butt with both feet sticking upwards and not touching the ground. He’s otherwise alert, chirping, and eating/drinking normally. I’ve included pictures for reference.

I’m wondering if any of you know the cause or, more importantly, can recommend anything we can try to correct the problem. I’m not optimistic for his outcome, but my sister has become very attached to him, so humanely euthanizing him isn’t an option unless he’s clearly in pain/discomfort. Any advice is much appreciated!
IMG_7007.jpeg

IMG_7006.jpeg

I don’t have any suggestions except to use some chick vitamins with B2 riboflavin or human B complex which also contains it. I would try to see if the hips might be dislocated. If it can stand at all, you can try putting it in a small wine glass or padded cup to learn how to put weight on the legs.

Back
Top Bottom