Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
You sent me an email asking for an update, here it is: Chickens are doing well now. 2022&2023 were not good years for us because of foxes. But I think we are a little better now. We're getting about 6 eggs a day from 10 hens, which doesn't sound great but I still have a few of my original hens that were hatched in our first year of chickens: 2016. So they are now 8 years old and not as productive, but because of the attachment to family we carry them in our flock. I do have a rooster. His breed is "Production Red" and he is about 13 pounds and we look forward to him being the father of the next generation for 2024 chicks. After that we'll grill him. If you want to know something specific, let me know.

aaah, just saw the email lol. I'm still alive as well lol, but unfortunately I don't have any birds at the moment.

Moved across the country a few years prior and had to give all of them away :(, and currently too occupied to get new ones. Give it a couple more years and I'll probably get more tho :)

I should probably edit my profile to reflect this and tbh i'm genuinly suprised how many people still give me a happy birthday, really appreciate that :D

Last edited:
Ah, I see I'm not the only one getting this request for an update. Sorry, no chicken news from me any more. I had to give my last chickens away 5 years ago. First they got badly decimated by a weasel or something similar, I never caught it. Then a few got ill. Then lack of time and life in general got in the way and I gave the last ones, the Chabo Bantams, to someone in the neighborhood. Maybe one day I'll have time again and get new ones, who knows.

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hi all!
We are keeping busy and learning how to adapt to a new city that requires chickens to be enclosed. Our girls are doing better at staying inside the fencing.

Attachments

• PXL_20240510_212723373.jpg
    PXL_20240510_212723373.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1

Hello! We currently have a hen sitting on 6 eggs! I'm hoping for a couple of new chicks for the crew!

Life has been crazy. Haven't had any chickens for a few years. Raising grandbabies, fighting cancer, mostly winning. I have however gotten a dozen new chicks to get extra motivation this year. Had two turkeys chicks but one passed. I'll post pictures later. They're only a couple weeks old. I hope everyone else is doing well.

Yep, that's me! I retired and moved up to property in the mountains 6 years ago. It's kept me so busy I just haven't been online much. I'll try to do better.
I do not have any of my original 4 chickens left, but now have about 30 in several different coops and runs. Too many roosters forces me to separate everyone. I give away what I can, but just can't bring myself to kill any of them. They are good roosters and watch over the girls when they are out foraging. Predator pressure from hawks, eagles, bobcats, coyotes, etc., keeps me vigilant, and I've had some very close calls. The only loss from a predator so far was a rooster killed during the night by an ermine!
I've lost too many chickens to coccidiosis though. Both hens and roosters. I now use a regimen of CocciAid (Amprolium) for 1 week, then FlockLeader Recover Plus (probiotics w/electrolytes and oregano) for a week. It's a lengthy process, but they seem to recover fine.

Still using the site all the time for advice, have always found what I'm looking for without need to post a question, until today!

Hey there, appreciate the check in :) I actually just got back onto BYC recently, so the timing worked out.
We got our pen built for our flock and have had some additions and subtractions of our birds over the last 3 years, but it's all balancing out and been a whirlwind of experience.
We started with 9 Silver Appleyards, including a male, and we now have 3 of those gals still laying for us. We just got 9 more ducklings last year and they started laying for us this year: 3 blue Swedish, 3 Ancona & 3 Welsh harlequin, including a male. We've lost several this year due to various reasons (parasites, niacin deficiency & predation). But learned a new lesson each time and made adjustments to hopefully strengthen/protect the flock moving forward, including adding apple cider vinegar to their water every day to help with parasite issues, adding brewer's yeast to their feed & installing tall trellises in their open, outside run to deter air predators.
The fowl math is working its magic on me, though, as I'm getting 25 broilers in next month along with several geese to help with additional flock protection :jumpy
Loving the journey and always appreciate the insight that can be gained from BYC posts!!

Back
Top Bottom