Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)

Hi, replying to just say hello to like minded chicken fans! We've been busy moving house (I can now give advice on how to move your chickens in the most calm, safe way when you move house, as managed it, was so pleased as I was SO stressed about it!). Chickens all settled in their new home and loving the fresh set of leaves to comb through for worms :)
George! This person needs help:

How should I move my chickens

Sorry it's been a bit since I've been around. We lost most of our first flock to various things, old age &predators. We just got a new group of babies a couple of weeks ago, so this is our second go round.
Good luck with the second round. We you able to make your coop predator proof?

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hi, I have ‘chicken matched’ my way up to 18 since 2000, and love them all. (4 Brahmas, 2 Cuckoo Marans, 2 Orpingtons, 1 Swedish flower (designated Queen), 1 Ameraucana, 1 CookiesnCream, Green Queen, 2Ducks),I’m afraid one of my black sex-link chicks is a cockerel, though, so he will need a new home. Roosters aren’t ‘welcome’ in this suburban neighborhood.

This new group were hatched 4/3/24. Every set is unique, but these are the biggest, leggiest, most kinetic ever! 2 black sex-link, 1 Buff Brahma, 1 Lavender Ameraucana, so 3 different breeds yet all ADHD.
I handle them daily, as singles, duos & group. They get scrambled egg and plenty of starter, and have a lot of room. Lord. I hope when they can be outside they will mellow!

In 4 years I’ve lost 2 Cochins to sudden illness, 2 who were egg bound, & 1 to a hawk. My dark Brahma has a congenital leg deformity but at 3 yrs is a trooper. My vet thinks poultry pets are a goldmine, I’m sure. I’ve learned how to use splints, treat eye infections & use peepers. I’m always learning, this community is a godsend. Thank you!
*The ducks have been a breeze, supremely messy, but daily layers with no illnesses or injuries!

Hi, I have ‘chicken matched’ my way up to 18 since 2000, and love them all. (4 Brahmas, 2 Cuckoo Marans, 2 Orpingtons, 1 Swedish flower (designated Queen), 1 Ameraucana, 1 CookiesnCream, Green Queen, 2Ducks),I’m afraid one of my black sex-link chicks is a cockerel, though, so he will need a new home. Roosters aren’t ‘welcome’ in this suburban neighborhood.

This new group were hatched 4/3/24. Every set is unique, but these are the biggest, leggiest, most kinetic ever! 2 black sex-link, 1 Buff Brahma, 1 Lavender Ameraucana, so 3 different breeds yet all ADHD.
I handle them daily, as singles, duos & group. They get scrambled egg and plenty of starter, and have a lot of room. Lord. I hope when they can be outside they will mellow!

In 4 years I’ve lost 2 Cochins to sudden illness, 2 who were egg bound, & 1 to a hawk. My dark Brahma has a congenital leg deformity but at 3 yrs is a trooper. My vet thinks poultry pets are a goldmine, I’m sure. I’ve learned how to use splints, treat eye infections & use peepers. I’m always learning, this community is a godsend. Thank you!
*The ducks have been a breeze, supremely messy, but daily layers with no illnesses or injuries!
They should calm down with age. Chicks go through a nutty everything scares them stage.

View attachment 3813381
Attempted my first hatching a couple months ago from purchased fertilized eggs. Unfortunately it seems like the post office made sure they were shaken not stirred because not a single successful hatch & the 4-6 I cracked to see where it went wrong all looked like this. Meat birds are growing at a great pace & other life goals of both mine & my kids have eaten up a lot of my spare time so I have been more MIA on social media
Welcome back! Sorry to hear about the rough start with your hatching! It sounds like you've been quite busy with other life goals, though. Hopefully, you'll find some time to give it another shot soon.

I've been still running like crazy. raising about 90 broilers a year and helping my parents with their layers. Among other fun farm activities.;)
PXL_20220717_133236135.jpg
PXL_20220527_233841065.jpg

We have only a few birds (6) and a stupid silky rooster that likes to come after me. Spring is here and the girls are happy with fresh new grass coming up and warmer pockets of sunshine to bask.

I've been still running like crazy. raising about 90 broilers a year and helping my parents with their layers. Among other fun farm activities.;)
PXL_20220717_133236135.jpg
PXL_20220527_233841065.jpg
Welcome back, great pictures, thanks for sharing them. It sounds like you're keeping busy with your farm activities! Raising broilers and helping out with your parents' layers must be quite a handful. It's great to see your dedication to farming!

Back
Top Bottom