Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
Hi!!! Thank you for reaching out 😊 All has been well thankfully for all my chickens. I was having so much drama with Polish chicks last year. But I found a breeder near me and I got two tolbunt Polish sisters and they are doing wonderful! I love them so much! I’ve found the key is to get them from a reliable breeder. They just turned one this month! All my other chickens are doing good too! I’m so thankful to have this forum as everyone is always helpful! 🐥🩷😍☀️
Hi there! I'm happy to hear your Polish sisters are doing so well... a good breeder really makes a difference. It's great to hear that everyone else in your flock is thriving too. Thanks for sharing your positive experiences, it's always wonderful to hear success stories from our community. Keep the updates coming! 😊

Hi Folks,
All great here. We finally got Betty to stop making the awful noise by moving things around in the stable they sleep in. I think it disturbed her pattern of behaviour. She can still shout but it’s occasional now not constant. I think it’s still on YouTube ‘This is Betty’ Check it out. A duck with an amazing set of lungs! X

That's fantastic news about Betty! Sometimes a little change in environment can make all the difference.

... but ya, having noisy birds in the yard can get a bit troubling for neighbors (and even us owners) ;)

Like everyone else just busy at the moment. Lambing and getting up in the night so brain just not there! We have a incubator full of different eggs, pheasant, duck, chicken bantams, guinea (just gone in) and a few pilgrim goose eggs. Been concentrating on upping our Pilgrim geese numbers and off today to pick up another girl for my lone boy, every other boys has his own. I tend to dip in and out of the forum when i need help with an issue and have found great advice, so keep it up!
Wow, you've certainly got your hands full with all that lambing (I thought I knew what that meant, but looked it up to be sure ;) ) and such a diverse incubator!

I'm glad you've found the advice here helpful, our community really is fantastic for that.

Thanks for reaching out! As a college professor, this is a particularly busy time of year which conflicts with my farming duties, lol! I ordered 3 Plymouth Rock Barred ladies 2 years ago and was sent 4. I will never know who the "extra" chick was, but the dynamics among them is amazing. And with 4, it helped seal their namesakes: Sophia, Dorothy, Blanche and Rose! So, I am a mom to a group of 2-year old ladies who keep me (and the dog) on our toes. My kids and husband are not as involved in the daily activities, but that's ok, it's actually therapeutic for me to venture out to the coop/run and visit with them, clean up, collect eggs and deliver some fresh produce. Who does not love a group SO happy to see you, even if it's just b/c you are carrying some escarole?

This is Sophia, queen bee of the group. She is my gorgeous redhead! Here is there coop tucked safely inside a giant run. We put on the metal roof and doubled up on the 14 gauge metal cloth around the entire unit AND UNDER IT. Best thing we ever did. Fox left hungry and gross mice could not get in!

Yes, those are curtains and a chandelier inside the coop, but the curtains help with draft (winter we wrap the whole thing up) and the chandelier, well, it gives them a soft glow as they find their way to the roosting bar each night. There are automatic doors on the inner coop and in between the inner run and outer run, on a timer but also easy to control right from my phone no matter where we are, a WiFi speaker to pump in classical tunes, and a camera so I can make sure everyone made it inside before the doors closed.

If anyone told me even 5 years ago I'd have a coop in my yard, I'd thought they were crazy, but now I think it's crazy NOT to have them! They are a total joy.
I love that coop!

Wow I haven’t been on here in so long, and the only reason I came back was because of @Nifty-Chicken checking in lol!

My update is I don’t have any chickens anymore, I became a bit more busy and didn’t have time to care for them, so I sold most of mine. :(

I will definitely have more in the future though, I will never stop the urge to keep incubating and hatching chicks!

Thanks for checking in, Nifty!
Well, you are VERY welcome @FeatherTay !!! :D

Sorry you don't have any more peeps, but I totally understand... I've almost been at that point before a few times! Life gets busy, I get it fosho!

Once you start incubating, come let us know and keep us updated!

Just got a random message from this website. IV had to move all my chickens roosters an bees are at a friend's till I get my own land. Yer I use ta post a lot on here.

Other then that just working at moment. I do have something in regards to birds I can share with ya. Here is a tawny frog mouth, a baby one I recently found n looked after for a little while park rangers then took him to raise n release into wild when they can.
View attachment 3813148
OMG, tawny frog mouth... those are some crazy looking birds, thanks for sharing the pic!

Sorry you had to move all your stuff, but hopefully someday you'll have your own land, and more peeps and bees then share more updates and pics with us soon!

Thanks for reaching out. We started with 5, then moved across the country & had big ban & barnyard. Things great till Las year- alpha hen Oreo got a bad respiratory infection & passed away in my arms- rough stuff, local farm vet no help. Then my gal- Yoshi our Rhode Island Red had issues with being egg bound- fixed her with warm bath & love & gloved hand, pulled out rotten egg good as new for another year, then not- Vet was pointless yet again. She passed in my arms to:hmmur big girl Gidget who could jump vertically 5 feet to take your burger was a rock star at everything- super outgoing, wouldn't take no for an answer, and although she was the lowest in the pecking order she was first at running for food, treats, grasshoppers, love and screaming at hawks. We found her 1 month ago in the coop in the barn Headless. So then I brought in our last girl. Buff- our Buff Orpington. We got all the chick's on Valentine's Day 6.5 years ago and she just stopped laying a few months ago after being our dependable gal. She's always been the secret leader. Quiet until she's not & then whoa! She came into the house & I treated her for worms- safeguard pea size injected into a pea. Then noticed her respiratory issues, so antibiotics, fixed it. Then diarrhea- fixed with medicated feed. A week later she lost her appetite & I noticed the labored breathing increased with the giant squishy belly. Water belly I guess. No cure. So she has her blankey in the living room. She goes in & out of the pet door & poops on her blankey like a good girl when she's inside. She hops onto a chair in my bedroom then into a box facing the window & goes nighty night at dusk. She Wakes me up at 7am & goes to her food & water by her blankey. Then she preens & goes outside with the cats & dog for the day. Then one day she started only excreting water- couldn't call it diarrhea anymore really- just explosive water. Outside thankfully. And the next day she was great. Super hungry, no fat squishy belly, chatty, happy & like her old self. No labored breathing either. Now she goes back to the barn this week. We're on vacation & have family checking in on her. I'm bringing a radio out there, cleaning out coop, setting up a mannequin with my straw hat, and putting in 2 smart lights with two way speaking & night vision. If a fox, raccoon, or stray cat get curious they will hopefully think twice. I don't like having 1 of anything. But I can't get more chickens to keep her company. I'm disabled now and it's been tough. I've enjoyed her being in the house & I know she's feeling out of sorts with her sisters gone. But some days now I swear she's happy, content to sit on my lap & watch Is It Cake while I pet her. I've had all sort of pets, but I have to say chickens are the best & sweetest at snuggles.

Attachments

• 20240425_162224.jpg
    20240425_162224.jpg
    365.9 KB · Views: 1
Thanks for reaching out. We started with 5, then moved across the country & had big ban & barnyard. Things great till Las year- alpha hen Oreo got a bad respiratory infection & passed away in my arms- rough stuff, local farm vet no help. Then my gal- Yoshi our Rhode Island Red had issues with being egg bound- fixed her with warm bath & love & gloved hand, pulled out rotten egg good as new for another year, then not- Vet was pointless yet again. She passed in my arms to:hmmur big girl Gidget who could jump vertically 5 feet to take your burger was a rock star at everything- super outgoing, wouldn't take no for an answer, and although she was the lowest in the pecking order she was first at running for food, treats, grasshoppers, love and screaming at hawks. We found her 1 month ago in the coop in the barn Headless. So then I brought in our last girl. Buff- our Buff Orpington. We got all the chick's on Valentine's Day 6.5 years ago and she just stopped laying a few months ago after being our dependable gal. She's always been the secret leader. Quiet until she's not & then whoa! She came into the house & I treated her for worms- safeguard pea size injected into a pea. Then noticed her respiratory issues, so antibiotics, fixed it. Then diarrhea- fixed with medicated feed. A week later she lost her appetite & I noticed the labored breathing increased with the giant squishy belly. Water belly I guess. No cure. So she has her blankey in the living room. She goes in & out of the pet door & poops on her blankey like a good girl when she's inside. She hops onto a chair in my bedroom then into a box facing the window & goes nighty night at dusk. She Wakes me up at 7am & goes to her food & water by her blankey. Then she preens & goes outside with the cats & dog for the day. Then one day she started only excreting water- couldn't call it diarrhea anymore really- just explosive water. Outside thankfully. And the next day she was great. Super hungry, no fat squishy belly, chatty, happy & like her old self. No labored breathing either. Now she goes back to the barn this week. We're on vacation & have family checking in on her. I'm bringing a radio out there, cleaning out coop, setting up a mannequin with my straw hat, and putting in 2 smart lights with two way speaking & night vision. If a fox, raccoon, or stray cat get curious they will hopefully think twice. I don't like having 1 of anything. But I can't get more chickens to keep her company. I'm disabled now and it's been tough. I've enjoyed her being in the house & I know she's feeling out of sorts with her sisters gone. But some days now I swear she's happy, content to sit on my lap & watch Is It Cake while I pet her. I've had all sort of pets, but I have to say chickens are the best & sweetest at snuggles.
You've definitely been on a rollercoaster journey with your feathered friends! I'm so sorry to hear about Oreo, Yoshi, and Gidget - it's just heartbreaking to lose our beloved chickens, especially when it happens in such difficult ways. :(

The radio, mannequin, and smart lights all sound like clever ideas! Such a cute pic of Buff! I sure do miss our Buff Orp! She was such a sweet girl... and always broody. LOL!

Please don't hesitate to share more stories & photos. :)

Back
Top Bottom