Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
Well, three of my four chicks I hatched (in my photo) are now 6 years old. A year later, I let one of them sit on eggs and got five more. So, I have 9 chickens. I have three runs/houses. Two have two roosters each. The big run and house have the four hens and a rooster who was disabled but you'd never know it now. I hardly get any eggs but they all are given to my brother because I don't normally eat eggs anyway. I had a handyman finally put a good roof on my newer house and reshingle the original chicken house that my late father shingled 32 years ago. As I'm now 51 years old and don't make enough money to ever retire and have bad osteoarthritis, I promised my brother I would never get any more animals. I am ashamed that I am a complete and total failure personally and professionally. But, the last chickens I will ever have are having a pretty good life with plenty of fruits, veggies, dried mealworms, dried crickets. Most of the boys now have bad feet (bumblefoot, growths, arthritis) but that just means they can't hurt me like they used to. It's sad when things come to any end, and I will soon have to dig a lot of graves.

Hello! Thanks for checking in! I've lost 3 of my original 4 hen flock. One 7yo survivor! Along the way I got a Bantam (two, but one got killed by a hawk) and she's had quite the life... She got broody some weeks ago because a rodent started storing whole pecans in her nest and she started sitting on them so I decided to get there fertilized eggs to replenish my flock and they hatched this week! She's doing a great job raising an Ameraucana, Black Copper Maran and an Olive Egger. I wonder if she suspects they are full-sized birds! There's always an adventure with these birds.

Just saw the email. Grew up on this website and still hold it dear to me. I've met lifelong friends here who i still talk to, although on a different platform. I still keep chickens and love my flock more than ever. Haven't had the time to be on here anymore, wish i did. :)
Growing up on BYC and meeting lifelong friends here... that's a sweet thing to say! :love

We do have a phenomenal community!

When you have more time, definitely keep us posted with details and pics of your flock!

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
The wet is over here in the NT and happy to report 4 keets going strong and looking forward to incubating/hatching some Wyandotte eggs to add to our flock of 3 hens 5 GF.

Hello all! I've been so busy, i decided to open a rescue/ sanctuary for abused and neglected domestic animals and it's really starting to gain traction now. I rescue chickens, ducks, geese, mini pigs, horses and hopefully much more soon! We're on Facebook n insta n TT as Serenity in the Cypress if anyone is interested in seeing what I've been up to!
Wow, that's an incredible undertaking... opening a rescue sanctuary for animals! It’s wonderful to hear that it’s gaining traction.

Keep up the great work, and please continue to share updates with us here too. The community would love to hear more about your experiences and see photos of the animals you’re helping!

Well, three of my four chicks I hatched (in my photo) are now 6 years old. A year later, I let one of them sit on eggs and got five more. So, I have 9 chickens. I have three runs/houses. Two have two roosters each. The big run and house have the four hens and a rooster who was disabled but you'd never know it now. I hardly get any eggs but they all are given to my brother because I don't normally eat eggs anyway. I had a handyman finally put a good roof on my newer house and reshingle the original chicken house that my late father shingled 32 years ago. As I'm now 51 years old and don't make enough money to ever retire and have bad osteoarthritis, I promised my brother I would never get any more animals. I am ashamed that I am a complete and total failure personally and professionally. But, the last chickens I will ever have are having a pretty good life with plenty of fruits, veggies, dried mealworms, dried crickets. Most of the boys now have bad feet (bumblefoot, growths, arthritis) but that just means they can't hurt me like they used to. It's sad when things come to any end, and I will soon have to dig a lot of graves.
Hi stranger! It's good to see you pop in!
You are not a failure!

Last edited:
Taking day by day. Recently was caring for my rooster who had a leg injury. He’s back to chasing the girls!
IMG_2440.jpeg

Hey everyone, I don't currently have any pictures but I will be sure to create a post in the near future when everything is more in order. I lost 99% of my flock last summer to a pair of rabid foxes while I was out at work. The foxes had to be eliminated for obvious reasons but luckily they left behind one of my black Australorps left, Henrietta. Once she got over the initial shell shock of losing her entire flock ( 5 Roo's and 24 other hens, a mix of Australorps, New Hampshires and Red Stars) She has been living her best life all year and has really warmed up to me and the family and has been enjoying having all our left overs and excess fruits and veggies all to herself. I currently have, now juvenile, (3) Rhode Island Reds (1) Buff Orpington and (2) Pekin ducks to start rebuilding a new mixed flock and I plan on getting a handful more Black Australorps as I just love them so much they are such a great breed. I have a 7x12 coop and my birds free range on about 5 acres, this time around I'm looking to keep my flock numbers a little more manageable per my needs, my previous flock size expanded unexpectedly. My first time around I had purchased 15 supposedly all sexed, one turned out to be a Roo, one day one of my hens went missing I thought she was taken by a predator, turns out she nested behind a propane tank, she hatched another 15 eggs 4 of which were more roosters 😂 and man that was some experience, really learned quick how to take care of my flock though, nursed sick ones back to health, learned about medications, didn't lose not one to disease or injury for 5 years until that pair of fox came around, it was a great experience for me it really improved me as a person, I'm really sad my girls and my roo's went out the way they did though I know its par for the course of the lifestyle that eventually in some capacity tragedy is bound to strike in one form or another. Anyway that's my current situation, looking forward to this year, moving the coop to a new location on the property and starting fresh looking forward to a new start this season!

HI Thanks for reaching out! Life has been crazy! I am raising Spring Chicks as well as a new puppy here on the farm got my garden in and am hosting a craft market this weekend, needless to say Things have been busy! It is nice to know that I have all of you for a resource or just to talk about Chickens! Something fun is I finally got Naked Neck (Turken) chicks this spring I have wanted them for so long!! They are so cute! I will post photos later Thanks again I appreciate the check in!
Hi there! Yup, sounds like you're super busy with all those exciting activities on the farm... that's def. a full schedule!

Naked Neck chicks... a neck only a mother could love! LOL! Ya, I'm not a fan, but I get how some peeps may be into them.

Looking forward to seeing your photos when you have a chance to post them. It’s great that you feel supported by our awesome community! Thanks for sharing your updates with us, and keep enjoying all those farm adventures!

Back
Top Bottom