Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
Wow! Very cool! Not too many people here have emus.
They are fun, but the information you get online does not match real life. I can certainly say it has been a learning experiance. Mine are all very sweet, loving birds. If you have the space and the time, I would suggest getting some just for the fun of it. The trick is to hatch and raise your own so they know you from birth.

They are fun, but the information you get online does not match real life. I can certainly say it has been a learning experiance. Mine are all very sweet, loving birds. If you have the space and the time, I would suggest getting some just for the fun of it. The trick is to hatch and raise your own so they know you from birth.
I would take your advice if I didn’t live on the 2nd floor of an apartment building. 🤣
Someday….

All good here! My 4 ladies are happy with our nice Spring weather in Texas, laying 4 eggs almost every day 🙌🏼 I’m also hatching a dozen BYM eggs with our first grade classes again and they’re due to hatch this Wednesday 🥳
Best wishes with your hatch!

I have been super busy, my mom had a baby and as you can imagine, it is a bit strange because I am far from young lol. But my fam and I have moved and so my chickies did too! They are adjusting well! I have a very tiny bantam that I hatched and raised by myself and she is in a small coop all by herself, I am a bit worried about her because she has no friends but she is okay for now. I had one chicken die a few days ago from a mystery sickness :hit. But all of the others are merged because they were in pike 4 separate flicks because I am a chicken and hate to merge chickens because mine are evil. But I had several super mean chickens that were the problems and I got rid of them and now everyone is living almost peacefully! If anyone can tell me how to make the flock of 8 like the 1 micro hen I would love suggestions because she has to go in with them at some point.View attachment 3813620View attachment 3813622View attachment 3813623
Make sure you have a large coop with hiding spots in it.
Space is important for making it work.

I'm five years (I think?) into having chickens. Right now I have 17 and a very nice roo, because third time's a charm I guess. It's a mixed flock of wyandottes, olive eggers, marans, ISA browns, calico princesses, and then a lone ancona and blue egger. I was planning on culling the wyandottes because they are mean when they go broody, one of the olive eggers, and the anconca, as they are older and not laying. Someone offered me free chicks and I said yes due to my plan on culling, before asking how many - 23 is how many. Oops. So now I have 23 chicks in a horse stall, a mix of white leghorn, red rhodies, and jersey giants. I found a home for the three jersey giants and three of the rhodies, and I've spotted a little cockrel rhodie in the bunch who will go with the culled hens, so that has me down to 16... I'll try to rehome a few more, I wanted to keep a few more than I culled but not that many.

It's been an experiment in keeping then safe from eagles. I have a big coop that opens into a main pen, then the main pen has four grassy paddocks off it that I rotate the birds through for grazing but they are still fenced in, so not truly free-range but open to the sky. I've done netting, which works until the first wind storm, but also catches robins and starlings, and the owls show no fear of the netting and try to bomb through it. I've done surveyor's tape, which was ugly as hell and I hated it. Right now I have pallets on blocks in the paddocks so the birds have a closer spot to run to and I hope that works 🤞

Hi, I am doing fine, just spent most of the time in TEG as I am more for a gardening person. Our hens are also doing fine, too.

We built two chicken runs with roof and felt so relieved to see hens have a dry and relatively warm place to stay in the winter. Now, we are working again the chicken tunnels that can lead them to mow for us, haha. I will update both chicken food towers and some others later in the summer. :D

Thanks for reaching out.

I'm five years (I think?) into having chickens. Right now I have 17 and a very nice roo, because third time's a charm I guess. It's a mixed flock of wyandottes, olive eggers, marans, ISA browns, calico princesses, and then a lone ancona and blue egger. I was planning on culling the wyandottes because they are mean when they go broody, one of the olive eggers, and the anconca, as they are older and not laying. Someone offered me free chicks and I said yes due to my plan on culling, before asking how many - 23 is how many. Oops. So now I have 23 chicks in a horse stall, a mix of white leghorn, red rhodies, and jersey giants. I found a home for the three jersey giants and three of the rhodies, and I've spotted a little cockrel rhodie in the bunch who will go with the culled hens, so that has me down to 16... I'll try to rehome a few more, I wanted to keep a few more than I culled but not that many.

It's been an experiment in keeping then safe from eagles. I have a big coop that opens into a main pen, then the main pen has four grassy paddocks off it that I rotate the birds through for grazing but they are still fenced in, so not truly free-range but open to the sky. I've done netting, which works until the first wind storm, but also catches robins and starlings, and the owls show no fear of the netting and try to bomb through it. I've done surveyor's tape, which was ugly as hell and I hated it. Right now I have pallets on blocks in the paddocks so the birds have a closer spot to run to and I hope that works 🤞
Here is when you first got them:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/hello-chicken-no0b-here.1371702/post-22565258

Hi, I am doing fine, just spent most of the time in TEG as I am more for a gardening person. Our hens are also doing fine, too.

We built two chicken runs with roof and felt so relieved to see hens have a dry and relatively warm place to stay in the winter. Now, we are working again the chicken tunnels that can lead them to mow for us, haha. I will update both chicken food towers and some others later in the summer. :D

Thanks for reaching out.
I recognize your name!
Welcome back.

We have such a vibrant community here at BYC... tons of active friendly members. Of course, life gets busy, so I was thinking it would be fun to start a thread welcoming some of our peeps we haven't heard from in a while.

If that's you, come say hello and let us know what you've been up to. :)

(if that's not you, feel free to invite peeps you haven't seen in a while and say hi to those that post here)
Hello all. We bought our acres last spring and aregetting it ready this year. Fruit trees and structures. I am so excited to get back to being a ChuckMomma. Soon I plan

Back
Top Bottom