Checking-In On Peeps - Post Here To Say Hello!

Pics
Hi! Thanks so much for reaching out :frow

My little flock is doing okay.. we experienced our first dog attack, lost two girls, but managed to save the third girl who got attacked, thank God. And now I’m trying to manage my old man rooster (only 7, but acting old) who is being chased and harassed by my little bantam polish menace of a rooster, he’ll be one in june, so he’s full of hormones - little turd.

Other than that, we are happy campers :)
Yikes...I am glad some survived the dog attack. Was it your dog?

Thank you for getting in touch. We're all fine, thank you, but I've been busy and not spending much time online.
I've been catching up on music and having singing lessons - and practising in the run :) As the bantams have a particular call that means 'time to go to bed', I decided to start singing a lullaby when I shut them up at night (Golden Slumbers) and wondered whether they'd learn to recognise it.

One evening Ginger decided she'd rather hunt worms than come to bed and refused to be shooed inside. But when I sang Golden Slumbers, she hurried in straight away!
Another time, they were messing about squabbling over who goes in before whom. I couldn't wait so I sang their lullaby and they went straight in.
Do you post singing or music videos on Youtube?

Hey guys, been more busy than usual so checking in here way less often. Chickens are now 4 years old, about 8 each of Jersey Giants and barred rocks, plus about 3 to 4 golden comets. Egg production is about 6 eggs per day.

Should be buying new chicks this year, but am reluctant due to time constraints
It is time consuming integrating new chicks. Do you have any hens that go broody?

I'm still alive! Just building a homestead in the desert, along with all the challenges that go with that.
LOL! Alive is good ;)

Building a homestead in the desert probably comes with its unique set of challenges and rewards, no? How is the process going? Would definitely love to see some more details and pics on projects you're working on.

Hello! Yes, it HAS been awhile since I logged in - I have been very busy with work, my garden, grandsons, and my small flock. This site was SO helpful when we first started out with keeping chickens (and still IS). Everyone is so friendly and willing to help!
I have recommended BYC to several friends, who are just starting their adventure with chickens. We are planning to get chicks soon - we are down to only 4 hens now (Black Australorps). Thank you BYC for the wonderful community and the knowledge that it provides!
Congrats on the grandson. Is he old enough to help collect eggs?

Hello, thanks for checking in. I have been well, and so has my flock of now 13 ducks 3 chickens and 2 guinea fowl.

We lost 2 chicken hens this year to a swift fox, I was so caught up in the loss of my Cayuga duck Totoro to even notice that one of my chicken hens was missing for a few weeks, Turkey was ut of the way a lot due to her being blind in one eye, so her disappearance was unnoticed, even after a head count I forgot one name. Felt terrible, I only realized after seeing her in a photo.
Soon after I stopped the foxes attempts about 3 times, the third time I chased it bare foot (didn't have time for shoes) and thought crisis averted, to realize in the morning, that my chicken hen Kiki was gone.
Started closing everyone up in the coops at night again, after getting the new coop finished. No, losses since then but 3 of the 5 ducklings from last year are drakes so it's gonna be difficult again.
I also have only 2 chicken hens and a rooster so I think I am gonna find them some lady friends who are about their age already.

This winter was wonderful, the flock had hardly any frostbite, partially due to the chickens having their own coop now, and the fairly mild winter weather. I will soon start treating the bumble foot on my Pekin duck, and make sure to get that fixed up this year hopefully.

I think that's it, this is a long post already so, have a great one and good luck everyone!
R.I.P Turkey, Kiki, Totoro, I miss you three wonderful birds! ❤️
Edited: to fix grammar
Good to see you back! It sounds like you've had quite a year with your flock. I'm super sorry to hear about the losses :( it's always tough to lose beloved animals.

Foxes, wow. that's hard! It seems you're taking strong steps to protect the rest of your flock, and I'm glad to hear there haven't been any more losses since securing them at night.

Good job preventing frostbite, and best of luck with treating the bumblefoot on your Pekin duck; hopefully, that gets resolved smoothly.

Thank you for sharing all of this with us, and take care. We’re all here rooting for you and your flock.

Hello. Thanks for checking in on me. Lot has happened. All my girls are wild and healthy.
Happy about easy winter and early spring I guess. Can't wait to catch up on everything I let fall behind. Will definitely be in touch more often soon.
It’s been a blessing all around with the mild winter.
Welcome back!

Back
Top Bottom