Charcoals

Midnightman14

Crowing
7 Years
May 23, 2016
Central WI
I've been talking to a friend and an old professor, both of whom hold PHD's about the curiosity of charcoal hens being sterile. Both of them agreed that the most likely explanation is that they have a defective gene on the female chromosome that doesn't "turn on" like its supposed to. Males get one male chromosome and one female chromosome so they remain fertile because they have at least one functioning copy of the sex chromosome whereas if the female's have a defective gene on them then they have no backup. It also doesn't help that charcoals are egregiously inbred and most of them show visible signs of inbreeding depression even at a young age. I've seen a few people claim that their Spalding charcoal hens have laid but hybrid vigor does not replace defective sex genes. I'm sure were I to post this information on facebook I would get crucified but hopefully on here cooler heads will prevail.

I've been talking to a friend and an old professor, both of whom hold PHD's about the curiosity of charcoal hens being sterile. Both of them agreed that the most likely explanation is that they have a defective gene on the female chromosome that doesn't "turn on" like its supposed to. Males get one male chromosome and one female chromosome so they remain fertile because they have at least one functioning copy of the sex chromosome whereas if the female's have a defective gene on them then they have no backup. It also doesn't help that charcoals are egregiously inbred and most of them show visible signs of inbreeding depression even at a young age. I've seen a few people claim that their Spalding charcoal hens have laid but hybrid vigor does not replace defective sex genes. I'm sure were I to post this information on facebook I would get crucified but hopefully on here cooler heads will prevail.
You might like to pose this question to Kermit Blackwood on The Science of Hybridology on FB. He use to be on here under the user name Resolution.

'inbreeding' to obtain the mutation ... then after compulsory use of 'Charcoal splits' ... so a lot of new blood!
"Peafowl Today " The Official Magazine of the United peafowl Association (UPA) July 2016
charcoal 6.jpg

charcoal 7.jpg

charcoal 8.jpg

charcoal 10.png

Back
Top Bottom