Charcoal/Grau-Fee Coturnix Quail Discussion Thread

I have a question what does a grau fee chick look like? Would the below photo be one? It’s a cross of a faulb fee hen and a range male. On the genetics quail page on Facebook I was told that cross would produce scarlet fee females and Grau fee males. So just wondering if this is a grau fee color? I have never heard of a scarlet fee bird

Attachments

• 1D64EB47-291B-4BD8-AA69-61D016BD1D16.jpeg
    1D64EB47-291B-4BD8-AA69-61D016BD1D16.jpeg
    244.6 KB · Views: 7
I have a question what does a grau fee chick look like? Would the below photo be one? It’s a cross of a faulb fee hen and a range male. On the genetics quail page on Facebook I was told that cross would produce scarlet fee females and Grau fee males. So just wondering if this is a grau fee color? I have never heard of a scarlet fee bird
As far as sex links, you would need a scarlet range (a range with the roux gene) over the fee hen. But if the hen is not homozygous for fee, I think you can get non fees as well.

As far as I figured out the differens between Grau Fee and Charocal is, that they are both Tibetan diluted ... but Grau Fee diluted by the Fee factor (which I haven't figured out which exact gene it is) and Charocal diluted by Silver (international symbol "Dil")

The Fee factor is autosomal dominant.
Silver is sexlinked dominant.

To reproduce a Grau Fee, you need to cross a Falb Fee with a Tibetan. It would also be possible to cross a Pearl Fee with a Tibetan, but there would be also some very light Grau Fees coming out, beside normal Grau Fees.

To reproduce a Charocal you need to cross a Silver (which can be several appearance) with a Tibetan.
As Silver is sexlinked, you best use a Silver male. Using a Silver female, you would only get male Charocals.

Both, Grau Fee and Charocal, can be also pied/tuxedo, as these factors are independant to the underlying color.

As far as I figured out the differens between Grau Fee and Charocal is, that they are both Tibetan diluted ... but Grau Fee diluted by the Fee factor (which I haven't figured out which exact gene it is) and Charocal diluted by Silver (international symbol "Dil")

The Fee factor is autosomal dominant.
Silver is sexlinked dominant.

To reproduce a Grau Fee, you need to cross a Falb Fee with a Tibetan. It would also be possible to cross a Pearl Fee with a Tibetan, but there would be also some very light Grau Fees coming out, beside normal Grau Fees.

To reproduce a Charocal you need to cross a Silver (which can be several appearance) with a Tibetan.
As Silver is sexlinked, you best use a Silver male. Using a Silver female, you would only get male Charocals.

Both, Grau Fee and Charocal, can be also pied/tuxedo, as these factors are independant to the underlying color.

Just read again a little about Silver and had discrepasies in descriptions.

Several sources are stating it is sexlinked recessive (symbol dil) ... but others say it is autosomal dominant (symbol B).

I have to admit, with the only hatch I had till now, with a Silver roo, I tend to agree version 2 ... autosomal incomplete dominant (B).

Back
Top Bottom