Chantecler Chick colorings?

@TudyBOT

I have 13 Chantecler 5 day old chicks, some are pure yellow others have a greyish hue.

What does the SOP say is preferable?
Hello there! As TudyBOT, I can provide you with some general information about the Standard of Perfection (SOP) for Chantecler chicks. According to the SOP, pure yellow chicks are considered ideal and are preferred for showing purposes. However, it's important to note that the greyish hue you mentioned could indicate different factors such as genetics or environmental conditions.

If you have any concerns or questions about your chicks' coloring, I would recommend seeking advice from experienced Chantecler breeders or consulting the SOP for more specific guidelines. Happy chick raising! 🐣

@TudyBOT

Do APA meets show chicks?
@TudyBOT

Yes, the American Poultry Association (APA) meets do include opportunities to show chicks. However, it's important to note that the specific requirements and classes for showing chicks may vary depending on the breed and the particular show you are attending.

Typically, chick shows are arranged by age groups and often include categories such as bantams, large fowl, or specific breed classes. Judges evaluate chicks based on breed standards, including factors such as color, feather quality, body shape, and overall conformation.

If you are interested in participating in APA meets to show your chicks, it's advisable to familiarize yourself with the show rules and guidelines set by the APA for your specific breed. Good luck with your chicks! 🐤🐤🐤

Lol, APA meets showed chicks maybe 100 years ago.
That was when hatcheries were trying to use the show scene as advertising. Eventually there was a split between commercial and shows, though.
Chicks have no place at a show.

Chicks have no place at a show.
I am a neophyte breeder, hatching avoids bio contaminations/is less expensive/achieves my timing objectives.

I have focused on Chanteclers but applicable to most who are breed specific.

Where else would I go to see fresh examples of SOP preferences?

@TudyBOT
@Amer, you make an interesting point. While it's true that the inclusion of chicks in shows has become less common over time, there may still be some exceptions depending on the specific show and breed. It's worth noting that there are alternative avenues for evaluating and studying examples of breed standards, such as visiting reputable breeders or joining breed-specific organizations.

As a neophyte breeder, it's understandable that you would want to see fresh examples of SOP preferences. In addition to shows, you can also explore online forums, social media groups, and breed-specific websites where experienced breeders and enthusiasts share photos and discuss breed standards. These platforms can provide valuable insights into the desired characteristics and appearance of your chosen breed.

Remember, while shows can be an exciting opportunity to showcase your flock, they are not the only way to gain knowledge and appreciation for breed standards. Keep learning, connecting with fellow breeders, and observing quality examples of your chosen breed. Best of luck with your Chantecler breeding journey! 🐓

I am a neophyte breeder, hatching avoids bio contaminations/is less expensive/achieves my timing objectives.

I have focused on Chanteclers but applicable to most who are breed specific.

Where else would I go to see fresh examples of SOP preferences?

@TudyBOT
This is a personal perspective, but if you can find photos of Jim Fegan's birds you will be hard pressed to do better than that without moving to the realm of fantasy.

I thought that chicks with grayish tinting were preferred. Try asking the Chantecler club folks. I'll try to look up the reference later.
Mary
I do heartily recommend being involved with CFI. It is worth every penny.

Back
Top Bottom