Changing our city's ordinance to allow ducks

farmgirlsomeday

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 23, 2014
Two years ago, and after a lot of well coordinated advocacy by a local group of chicken and permaculture fans, our city's created an ordinance to allow the keeping of up to six hens at a city residence after a very cumbersome permitting process. I am one of the fewer than 50 people who since the ordinance was passed, has jumped through all the hoops and gotten my permit, so I am allowed to keep six chickens (no roosters are allowed).

Currently I have four hens, and I recently bought two Pekin ducklings to fill my last two permitted slots. Sadly, one of my ducklings died, so now I only have one little duckling, and I really want to keep her (I'm calling her a her even though it will be a while before I know her gender for sure)

However, we've now discovered that ducks are not allowed, even for permit holders. The general city code states "no poultry," and the ordinance that outlines the process to get the permit to have chickens goes even further, stating that the permit does not allow "ducks, geese, turkeys or any other pountry."

I am now working with my city council member to change the current ordinance that allows permits for up to six chickens. My proposed change would allow properly permitted residents to fill up to two of their six slots with ducks instead of chickens. I think this is modest and reasonable. So does the city council member with whom I am working. To help him make the case for this change, he's asked that I send him two things:

- Articles or other materials that support the idea of ducks as appropriate, productive backyard pets or laying birds

- Examples of town and city ordinances that allow keeping ducks

If any of you guys can point me to good materials that I can provide to the city council guy, I would really appreciate it. I want to keep my duck!!!
Thank you !

I am facing the same problem with trying to keep a couple of ducks in a town that allows 5 chickens per home only, and was wondering if you were successful in changing your town's ordinance. I would greatly appreciate any help you might be able to provide as we embark on this process. It would be wonderful if we could keep two ducks in two of the five chicken slots!

Two years ago, and after a lot of well coordinated advocacy by a local group of chicken and permaculture fans, our city's created an ordinance to allow the keeping of up to six hens at a city residence after a very cumbersome permitting process. I am one of the fewer than 50 people who since the ordinance was passed, has jumped through all the hoops and gotten my permit, so I am allowed to keep six chickens (no roosters are allowed).

Currently I have four hens, and I recently bought two Pekin ducklings to fill my last two permitted slots. Sadly, one of my ducklings died, so now I only have one little duckling, and I really want to keep her (I'm calling her a her even though it will be a while before I know her gender for sure)

However, we've now discovered that ducks are not allowed, even for permit holders. The general city code states "no poultry," and the ordinance that outlines the process to get the permit to have chickens goes even further, stating that the permit does not allow "ducks, geese, turkeys or any other pountry."

I am now working with my city council member to change the current ordinance that allows permits for up to six chickens. My proposed change would allow properly permitted residents to fill up to two of their six slots with ducks instead of chickens. I think this is modest and reasonable. So does the city council member with whom I am working. To help him make the case for this change, he's asked that I send him two things:

- Articles or other materials that support the idea of ducks as appropriate, productive backyard pets or laying birds

- Examples of town and city ordinances that allow keeping ducks

If any of you guys can point me to good materials that I can provide to the city council guy, I would really appreciate it. I want to keep my duck!!!
Thank you !
I'm facing this now, how did it go and what material did you use?

Back
Top Bottom