Central Alabama: Three sided coop or regular coop?

Tomtommom

Songster
7 Years
Jan 14, 2013
Montevallo, AL
I'm still unsure which way to go. The current plan is a 3x8 closed coop, with some windows and such. However, I'm still not sure.

In the summer it's generally around the 95-100F mark, sometimes we go up to 105F. But, the winters can dip down to 20-30 degrees.. Snow is rare though.I'm afraid to make a three sided coop only to find out it's too chilly. On the other hand, I don't want to end up having a closed coop that's just too stuffy.

The coop and run are going to be in this area (in the exact middle of the picture, past the tree, toward the back of the yard.) although I could move it closer to the tree for more shade.

(Old pic)

(Old pic)

Current pic, we have a second fence now to separate the dogs.

Suggestions?

Last edited:
We live in North Texas. -similar climate. We have mild winters and very, very hot summers (usually three months of 95 - 100+ temps). We currently have two-sided coops. The back and one side are solid. Two sides are hardware cloth. Last summer we had fans on each coop, and a mister suspended from a large oak tree to help cool the outside air around the coops. The chickens did very well and didn't suffer any heat related issues. (We are currently ditching the three small coops and beginning construction on one large shed-style coop with the ability to open one side completely for ventilation, and lots of windows and louvered vents as well. -am literally contemplating installing window fans, an exhaust style fan to lift the heated air out, and/or a small window air conditioner - seriously. We added four chickens since last summer - Wyandotte, Orpingtons, and an Australorp. These gals are a lot heavier/more feathered than the bantams and Golden Comets. -afraid they won't do as well in the excessive 100+ degree heat).

You have a very nice location with good shade! I would recommend a three-sided coop for your climate.

Last edited:
I live in west central Arkansas, weather here is about what you described. I have used hoop coops for a couple years now. I have Leghorns and have had no problems.

They suffer far more in the heat than the cold. Go with the more open coop plan. You could always put up a temporary wind break in the winter.

We've been playing with an open coop idea, which is frankly less daunting than the original plans we had worked out. It seems unnatural not to have a closed coop though
lol.png
Probably January speaking to me, it's hard to imagine being HOT right now.

We'll get there... slowly but surely.

I have an open air coop, and I'm way north of you and get colder winters. Down south, you have more to worry about with summer heat, than winter cold. You would probably need an even MORE open coop than mine.
Jack

900x900px-LL-a7aa3ac3_55557_img_1347.jpeg

Yeah, We're talking about doing a 4x16 covered run. One end enclosed with three floor to roof walls, no wall on the run side, attaching a nest box on the outside. The whole thing would be a little over 6 foot tall inside. We're getting 6 girls, I know, I know, chicken math :p Considering the height of the thing, it could likely handle a few more birds, if they like to go up. (I am having visions of hens choosing the rafters over the roosts in their "coop" LOL)

I keep wanting to go bigger and bigger and the shopping list is getting scarier by the day (Last night we were at $400.. We've managed to lower it a bit. I'm aiming for $300.)

We got a concrete plan now. SO excited. Final bill with tax is going to be around $300, that's not counting the wire I already bought. Best of all, it's going to be big enough for 9 chickens (so, 6 chickens plus future chicken math). 3 sided coop, partially covered run, 6 feet tall. I'm very excited :)

I'll be sure to share the pictures as we build it. Waiting for the IRS to hand me my moneys
tongue.png

Did you post pics under a different thread? Your idea sounds exactly like what I want to do; seems like they do better a little cold than what they do too hot. Really interested to see how your coop & run has turned out.

Did you post pics under a different thread? Your idea sounds exactly like what I want to do; seems like they do better a little cold than what they do too hot. Really interested to see how your coop & run has turned out.

I need to get some new pictures, we finally put the siding on the outside (where you can see the tar paper). We just used dog ear fence panels cut to size :) It's a very nice coop, wouldn't change much about it.

We've already had our first eggs.

I did make an enclosure out of chainlink fence so they can free-range some during the day.. but that's just because I spoiled them. I think it would have worked just fine had I not gotten them used to roaming ;-)

Back
Top Bottom