Cecil County, MD ordinances??

mroe21877

Hatching
10 Years
Sep 10, 2009
Hi everyone,

I am relocating to MD for work and I am interested in getting a few hens as pets and for fresh eggs. I did some searching but there is nothing in the Cecil County ordinance that even mentions chickens -- and i believe my new property is zoned rural residential - mostly large pieces of land and small farms around. The only mention of animals is dogs. I am assuming there should be no issue keeping about 5 hens since i will be on over 2 acres and there is a 28 acre farm behind me. However I would like to hear if anyone has any specific knowlege about the area.

thanks!

Also, if anyone know a good local place to get supplies, chicks, etc Id be interested - rather help out the local economy than send away for everything

sent you a PM, there are a couple from Cecil on here.

oh yeah
welcome-byc.gif

Here is a link to the complete zoning regulations.
http://www.ccgov.org/uploads/PlanningAndZoning/General/ZO_Entirety.pdf

In Cecil Co. agriculture use is allowed without conditions in all zones including RR. See page 97 section 54.4. Animal Husbandry (same page) is allowed in RR with conditions. See page 105 section 58. for the conditions, mainly must be 1 acre lot size. (page #s refer to PDF page #s)

Now on page 25 it defines agriculture:
Agriculture. Agriculture, including horticultural, chemical, or general farming, cultivation of field crops, orchards, groves, greenhouses, or nurseries for growing or propagation of plants, turf, trees, and shrubs, and in general all uses commonly classed as agricultural, and including use of heavy cultivating machinery, spray planes, or irrigating machinery, dairy farming, keeping or raising for sale of large or small animals, including structures for processing and sale of products raised on the premises.

Raising chickens is considered agriculture but that definition.

On the next page it defines animal husbandry:
Animal Husbandry. The raising, boarding, and/or sale of domestic animals other than dogs or cats.

By that definition and by the zone usages allowed, a person cannot have a pet rabbit unless they have an acre of land. Unless they are raising it to be eaten and then it would be classified as agriculture.

Additionally, all towns have their own ordinances and rules of which I do not know since they don't apply to me.

I like Giffords Farm on Biggs Hwy for my feed and Oxford Feed and Lumber for my supplies.

Welcome to BYC and welcome to Cecil-tucky!!
Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Anne
smile.png

Thats good news I will also be in Port Deposit actually and I will have a little over 2 acres.

Thanks!

Greetings all,

I am currently inhabiting within the town of Elkton, Maryland. My wife and I decided earlier this year in the spring to raise chickens and ducks for personal consumption and as pets. We found out that it is against the town's annotated codes for keeping live stock within town limits. Well, needless to say, that we have until the 19th of November to get rid of our beloved pets and food source. I was hoping to find somewhere in my towns codes that will help us keep our chickens and ducks. Since I have been unsuccessful in finding anything that will help save our feathered friends. We are forced to have them butchered. I would like to learn how to petition against the town of Elkton livestock code so that many other families, not just mine, will be able to keep and raise our very own chickens and ducks as pets or as personal food. If anyone has any idea please share them with me. Thank you.

:Raul-Ricardo:

I would like to learn how to petition against the town of Elkton livestock code so that many other families, not just mine, will be able to keep and raise our very own chickens and ducks as pets or as personal food. If anyone has any idea please share them with me.

The petition process is generally the same however I think it best that you start a discussion with someone in the zoning department on how to petition for the change and to help you through the process.

A lot of people view them as the enemy (and in some cases they are) but they are still there to serve the public and whose job it is to answer questions about how to get things done like petitioning for a change to zoning. You might hear them say "it can't be done" or "you and who's army?" but don't let them words keep you from trying - if you listen to that you've lost before you've begun.

We're doing a similar fight on the east coast of Florida.​

I know this is an old post, but I'm hoping someone will reply! We live in Cecil County as well and I spoke to the Cecil planning zoning guy and he said I need to have an acre. Now I didn't mention chickens (although I just got some) I was asking about goats. I don't know
If I should have implied that we would be milking the goats , but he said no. We live on .789 of an acre. Almost an acre and plenty of pasture for 2 goats and chickens! This is crazy. Maybe I should call him back?

Back
Top Bottom