Can you safely mail a chicken?

You said chicken. So I’m assuming not babies. I just did for the first time. Only us postal will ship them. They must be next day for their safety and health. I shipped 4 from Missouri to Florida. I posted a short thread. No liquids. So electrolytes before you ship them and put moist but not witty food. I used apples and zucchini. :)
Did they check to see if you were NPIP certified? Are you? I was thinking if maybe I can squeeze a few chickens through the postal system without having that darn NPIP permit. Maybe some independent shipping company might forgo the process......

Did they check to see if you were NPIP certified? Are you? I was thinking if maybe I can squeeze a few chickens through the postal system without having that darn NPIP permit. Maybe some independent shipping company might forgo the process......

Not that I would advise it, but no one asked me and at the time I didn’t know it was a thing. I’m going to get mine set up though for future shipments.

Last edited:
I've never shipped birds, but have had plenty of them shipped to me. I've gotten several boxes of day old chicks from hatcheries, and they all ended up healthy. Also had six 1 month old silkies shipped to me from Florida in November, and one 3 year old silkie hen shipped to me in January. All of them made it and are healthy. My best advice for receiving poultry in the mail is to give them Nutri Drench afterwards, and make sure they're getting plenty of water.

To ship chickens, you generally need NPIP certification. Getting it is a different process in each state. You'll need a poultry shipping box, with air holes and lots of 'fragile' markings. Fresh fruit is good to put with them, as it keeps them hydrated and full. You should drop them off at the post office in the evening, and then pay for overnight shipping so that the customer gets them early in the morning. This way, they don't go without water for much longer than they would any other night. Have them hold it at the post office, and then call the customer to come pick the chickens up.
Good luck!
This is the way I usually get my birds delivered
Or u could get a pet carrier who stops and give the birds water throughout the journey

Back
Top Bottom