Can you graze an ostrich in the same space as chickens?

Locura

Chirping
Aug 24, 2019
I don't actually plan on doing this, but it came up in conversation, and I couldn't find any answers on Google.

Hey, Locura. Those who have hobby farms with miniature horses and chickens and emus living cheek by jowl will have the answer to this question.

The ostrich folks who cruise through here are usually breeders, and my wild guess is that they are less likely to have insights into ratite-chicken relations.

So, emus can be ornery; but ostriches are known to be ornery-er.

I have seen photos of emus apparently living happily in the company of all manner of smaller critters.

So, could you graze an ostrich in the same space as chickens? Well, it could end in tears.

Supreme Emu, Western Australia

Hey, Locura. Those who have hobby farms with miniature horses and chickens and emus living cheek by jowl will have the answer to this question.

The ostrich folks who cruise through here are usually breeders, and my wild guess is that they are less likely to have insights into ratite-chicken relations.

So, emus can be ornery; but ostriches are known to be ornery-er.

I have seen photos of emus apparently living happily in the company of all manner of smaller critters.

So, could you graze an ostrich in the same space as chickens? Well, it could end in tears.

Supreme Emu, Western Australia
Just noticed this post....Sorry for the late reply.....Probably not the best idea as if the big birds step on them its over....Have had some of our free range chickens get in paddocks with no problems but it was incidental and not planned....I would not chance it ...Ostrich are not emu.....Being 2 to 3 times the size of emus, accidents can be fatal to little guys...

Back
Top Bottom