Can you cross Chinese and African?

Dec 6, 2019
Philippines
I notice they look similar.

African-Geese-500x500.jpg

IMGP4971.JPG

My male Chinese goose is monogamous so I am considering to buy additional ganders. I notice Meltzer sells African Geese and I wonder if African can cross with Chinese. No one breeds African in my town, Most goose here are Chinese.

What other geese I can cross with Chinese? Is the goslings going to be fertile?

I wonder if African can cross with Chinese.
Yes, they are able to breed and produce goslings.

What other geese I can cross with Chinese? Is the goslings going to be fertile?
I think any of the domestic geese can cross and produce fertile goslings. So Chinese, African, Toulouse, Embden, and so forth should all be fine.

Africans and Chinese are closely related breeds developed from the wild swan goose (Anser cygnoides) so they can absolutly breed. They can also breed with any other domestic goose breed as they’re all members of the Anser family.

Anser has been known to hybridize with members of Branta “Canada geese and barnacle geese in particular” but the offspring are assumed to be sterile as no known second generations have been observed.

I was about to buy gander goslings from Metzer farms only to realize they are not in season. :barnie

I have 7 females and only one of them have mate because my damn Chinese gander is so monogamous.

I will get multiple gander goslings from different breeds now. I think having Mutt Goslings will be advantage to me because everyone here have Chinese. My girls have 5 years of fertility left, I want to give them some sugarbabies for the cougars that they are.

Last edited:
Not sure how accurate this, but I asked this question once to one of the more notable hatcheries over the phone (when I first got interested in Geese) and was told that an African male would be too big for a Chinese female when they mount I guess.

My big African has been covering the ducks (in a cement mixing tray) so I can't imagine a Chinese is too small.

Note: He has a wife and 2 mistresses, but the ducks come hither flirt splashing for their drake really riles him up.

Back
Top Bottom