can you breed brother and sister?

Yes, it is done all of the time. That is how some of the breeds started because the gene pool was so small. I don't recommend doing it, being there is so many chickens of the same breed out there. Deformities usually do not show up in the first generations of this breeding.

thanks
the reason i said that is i just got eggs of ebay of silver pekin hatching eggs and i there are rare where i am from andi was wondering if i could breed brother and sister together

You can breed bothers and sisters but it is not advisable as chicks may hatch with undesirable traits. If there are any undesirable traits they most likely will show up. I had two hatch with a crossed beak and blind and another couldn't walk. It kept falling over. They had to be culled. I didn't know that the hens and the roo was brother and sisters. I have never had any chicks before with any defects before this time, but this was the first time of breeding brother and sisters. Now the girls have another unrelated boy. You can breed mother and son and father and daughter but not a good idea of breeding brother and sisters.

Interbreeding with siblings causes a higher risk of abnormalities in the chicks. This can be anything from lame legs/wings to extras or missing limbs. The chicks will often struggle to survive to their normal lifespan, often dying young and possibly in pain from internal issues. It is never advisable to breed siblings together as it is too risky.

Last edited:
One of the rules of genetics, when dealing with a small gene pool recessive genes will either disappear or take over. Just be careful further down the road that your not letting something take over that you don't want.

It can be done but it's not advisable for all of the reasons already mentioned. Serious breeders definitely wouldn't do it unless there were so few birds available that the breed was in genuine danger of dying out. But if you know more about the breeding set-up where the eggs come from, you can decide if the risks are very high or just moderately high. Like, does the breeder have a dozen hens and more than one rooster? Or just two hens and one rooster? If the breeding pen is a dozen birds and you got six eggs then your eggs will almost certainly be from six different hens. Meaning that the chicks will be genetic half-siblings at most. If the pen has two roosters, then there's a good chance that some of the chicks will not be genetic siblings at all. Of course you have no way of knowing which ones are and which ones aren't, but you could still breed them together and know that there would be less of a chance of deformities and undesirable traits popping up. But if the breeding pen is two hens and one rooster, then some of your chicks will be full genetic siblings and breeding them together really isn't a good idea.

If you're just wanting to hatch out more birds for yourself then of course you can do what you want with them. But if you were planning on breeding them to sell then I think you'd have a kind of moral responsibility to tell any future buyers about their breeding. Personally, I wouldn't want to buy birds that had been bred along those lines.

Back
Top Bottom