Can the city make me get rid of our animals?

HotmessHomestead

In the Brooder
Mar 23, 2022
Current code for our city does not regulate owning poultry/livestock. There used to be a requirement where the coop had to be at least 100' away from any neighboring house (ours still is) but that was removed in 2018. They are working on new code now and talking about adding restrictions. If I am in compliance with current city code could they really change it and force me to get rid of my pets?

I can't seem to find any cases like this....

That may completely depend. I know a lot of times it can be ‘grandfathered’ in. Meaning if it was there before and a new law would change it, it doesn’t change for you since it was there prior. A lot of times this is just up to the city. I haven’t dealt with much with animals with the ‘grandfathering’ or changes in code that would result in you having to give them up. More than likely though they will be grandfathered in.

In the town I just left, you can not have chickens at all. HOWEVER, prior to this ONE house in city limits but just in the skirts of town had chickens. And because they were grandfathered in. So they are one family I know can have them even though, the ordinances say otherwise. I’m sure there are a few more but this particular family stands out because they are on a major road.

It really depends on where in the world you are, and what your local government thinks. I know that where I live it doesn’t matter if you had them before or after, if they say you can’t have them you can’t have them.

In my country they placed those newaws for anyone who has over 15 birds, putting them 100 meters away from any human or some shit like that. But if you were over the age of 75 the new law doesn't include you. Like, old people are allowed to have as many birds as they want wherever they want, even if it's commercial. The law aimed mostly for commercial bird holders, like turkey industry and such. My grandfather who was over 80 at the time, didn't have to move his farm.
So basically, it really depends on your country and the final law that they'll come up with.

Back
Top Bottom