Can the chick balance its ration?

saysfaa

Free Ranging
6 Years
Jul 1, 2017
Upper Midwest, USA
In this 1936 study, Link to the results, researchers fed some chicks a standard (for the time) mixed feed. Other chicks were offered each of the ingredients individually. All chicks got cod liver oil in their water for vitamins.

Then the amount they ate of each ingredient was measured. And the chicks were weighed.

Results...
"...Growth of the "cafeteria" chicks was normal, comparing favorably with that of chicks of the same age hatched from hen eggs of the same variety and fed the Missouri chick ration. See Tables 5 and 6 for the growth of the two groups. ...

CONCLUSIONS
1. The group of chicks studied was able to select a balanced ration, one which conformed very closely with that recommended by the poultry department of the University of Missouri.
2. The requirements of the growing chick and its ability to satisfy those demands can be used to balance a ration if the necessary ingredients are accessible.
3. Chicks select a very uniform ration during the first eight weeks. The physiological demands for protein, energy, minerals, etc., are expressed evidently by feed selection when the necessary concentrates are available. These physiological demands are apparently very uniform throughout this period.
4. Normal growth was obtained by using a "free choice" method of feeding growing chicks. Day-old to eight-week-old chicks un- influenced by other chickens or the attendant were able to select from nine different ingredients a ration which produced normal growth, bone development, and feathering.
5. The growing chicks selected a very small quantity of salt and alfalfa leaf meal. They reduced the intake of bran, increasing that of corn meal, shorts, and bone meal as they increased in size."

The intro referenced similar results in a similar study with laying hens.

Last edited:
The results are very close to what happens in total free-range settings I employ. Given a choice the chicks often show a lack of preference for what is very abundant in the environment. Namely seeds and vegetative greens. This allows more investment in the consumption of animal prey. They still can consume more of the grains and vegetative greens compared to what they prefer.

Oops, I'm in Missouri!

In this 1936 study, Link to the results, researchers fed some chicks a standard (for the time) mixed feed. Other chicks were offered each of the ingredients individually. All chicks got cod liver oil in their water for vitamins.

Then the amount they ate of each ingredient was measured. And the chicks were weighed.

Results...
"...Growth of the "cafeteria" chicks was normal, comparing favorably with that of chicks of the same age hatched from hen eggs of the same variety and fed the Missouri chick ration. See Tables 5 and 6 for the growth of the two groups. ...

CONCLUSIONS
1. The group of chicks studied was able to select a balanced ration, one which conformed very closely with that recommended by the poultry department of the University of Missouri.
2. The requirements of the growing chick and its ability to satisfy those demands can be used to balance a ration if the necessary ingredients are accessible.
3. Chicks select a very uniform ration during the first eight weeks. The physiological demands for protein, energy, minerals, etc., are expressed evidently by feed selection when the necessary concentrates are available. These physiological demands are apparently very uniform throughout this period.
4. Normal growth was obtained by using a "free choice" method of feeding growing chicks. Day-old to eight-week-old chicks un- influenced by other chickens or the attendant were able to select from nine different ingredients a ration which produced normal growth, bone development, and feathering.
5. The growing chicks selected a very small quantity of salt and alfalfa leaf meal. They reduced the intake of bran, increasing that of corn meal, shorts, and bone meal as they increased in size."

The intro referenced similar results in a similar study with laying hens.
thanks for making us all aware of this paper; it is very interesting.
For comparison, and given your aims, you may be interested to compare with this:

This year, for the first time, I offered chicks hatching here home made chick feed, based on recipes devised by authors writing before and up to the time Funk was. Relevantly, the constituents were individually identifiable and individually selectable from the feed bowls. Also relevantly, and completely different from the experimental set-up of Funk, my chicks were on pasture from day 2, with one or other of 3 different broodies (there were 3 broods), who instructed them what to eat both from the feed bowls and from the forage available here.

The first brood hatched on 4 June; the second on 1 July; the third on 11 August. One from the first clutch died at 4 1/2 months old, cause unknown. The rest appear to be fine. There were no cases of pasty butt or diarrhoea, bone and feather growth is normal, and if any of them have had coccidiosis (which is very likely) they got over it without intervention or medication.

To give illustrations of what this all means, this is one of the June hatch, here foraging dock seeds
Dyffryn 1.JPG

This is two of the July hatch, one photobombing the other
Frida photobomb.JPG

and this is one of the August brood, still following her mum
Hafod1.JPG

define 'treat'
I can give examples but not a definition at this point along my path.

The most consistent treats my hens get are sunflower seeds and whole oats. This is because I had 20-25 pounds of each left over from planting fields and garden. Neither is necessarily what I would choose as the best option otherwise.

I toss the chickens some to encourage them to search through the deep bedding because it turns the bedding, they get a little more exercise, it gives them something to do, and uses at least a little of the excess seeds. Dh gives them some most times he goes out there because watching them go after the things he scatters for them is about the only thing about chickens that he likes.

They eat all the sunflower seeds and oats they are given as fast as they can. Even when it was several handfuls for five pullets - so up to maybe half what they can eat in a day. That doesn't happen often but has happened several times.

Those are treats.

Neither is a treat in every context. For example, each is used in some balanced commercial feeds.

Before I found this study, I thought they ate the seeds because they liked them better than their feed. At least partly. I've always thought part of it was a social thing. I wanted them willing to eat a wide variety of foods so when they were very tiny, I started calling them to try samples of lots of things. I've always regularly done that.

Maybe if they have sunflower seeds and oats available all the time and/or it didn't have the social aspect then they would eat only enough to keep within a balanced overall range.

The results are very close to what happens in total free-range settings I employ. Given a choice the chicks often show a lack of preference for what is very abundant in the environment. Namely seeds and vegetative greens. This allows more investment in the consumption of animal prey. They still can consume more of the grains and vegetative greens compared to what they prefer.
.... I wanted them willing to eat a wide variety of foods so when they were very tiny, I started calling them to try samples of lots of things. I've always regularly done that.
I've noticed they will consistently eat a LOT of something they get for the first time. Often, they won't eat much of it at a time after that. Exceptions have been tomato seedlings, clover, and radish greens... they wanted a LOT of each of them for weeks. (Yes, I know tomato plants are supposed to be poisonous)

Meat is not an exception, which surprises me.

Anyway, applying this to treats - if the flock isn't free ranging* maybe this novelty/rarity aspect can matter more? People bringing treats that are different but each with the same nutritional weakness - too much fat, for example.

*Or is "free ranging" in an environment that doesn't offer many options. Or a food is offered with heavy social cues.

Last edited:
I can give examples but not a definition at this point along my path.

The most consistent treats my hens get are sunflower seeds and whole oats. This is because I had 20-25 pounds of each left over from planting fields and garden. Neither is necessarily what I would choose as the best option otherwise.

I toss the chickens some to encourage them to search through the deep bedding because it turns the bedding, they get a little more exercise, it gives them something to do, and uses at least a little of the excess seeds. Dh gives them some most times he goes out there because watching them go after the things he scatters for them is about the only thing about chickens that he likes.

They eat all the sunflower seeds and oats they are given as fast as they can. Even when it was several handfuls for five pullets - so up to maybe half what they can eat in a day. That doesn't happen often but has happened several times.

Those are treats.

Neither is a treat in every context. For example, each is used in some balanced commercial feeds.

Before I found this study, I thought they ate the seeds because they liked them better than their feed. At least partly. I've always thought part of it was a social thing. I wanted them willing to eat a wide variety of foods so when they were very tiny, I started calling them to try samples of lots of things. I've always regularly done that.

Maybe if they have sunflower seeds and oats available all the time and/or it didn't have the social aspect then they would eat only enough to keep within a balanced overall range.
I don't consider either of those thing as treats; they are both fine foodstuffs, especially if home grown and hulled as yours are, and are not the only things available to eat. I'm sure you're right about your chickens being less prone to guzzle them if they were available year round, but then almost all real food is seasonal, and that's part of their appeal (for me at least). I have confidence in their ability to stop themselves when they've had enough of something. They didn't evolve with a gatekeeper on food stores.

It is a very good idea to have something they like so much that you can train them to come when you call, and to offer them samples of anything you think might be a good addition to their diet, as you do; live mealworms serve the training purpose here (broodies go into 'this is food' overdrive when they're offered :drool, so chicks learn immediately that these are a very good food indeed and also learn quickly that I am their friend not a predator).

Hm, well, neither is hulled.

And, pretty much the only other option they have is commercial feed. Despite it sounding like I give them a lot of other things. Usually, it is either small amounts or infrequent.

They don't leave their coop/run combo shed. Someday, I hope to have other options.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom