Can someone tell me what this is and how to fix it?

fernanda2003

In the Brooder
Apr 18, 2024
IMG_1032.jpeg
IMG_1034.jpeg
I heave three ducks, two pekin and one cayuga i believe and the pekín ducks have recently been super wet from their belly area, I have been changing their bedding frequently but it seems like they still stay wet. Has this happened to anyone else and if so what did you do to help their bellies stay dry?

Ducklings are hard to keep dry. Can you share how you are keeping them?
we are using chopped hay, that’s we were told to use from the store we bought them at. i’m thinking of switching to pine shavings. we were told to use a chicken water dispenser, we’ve tried putting it in baking trays to collect the water and and extra tray under that for extra protection but they still seem to splash a lot of it on their bedding

It is your waterer. You need to stop using a chicken waterer. Most of us use rubber made type containers with holes cut in the top. Setting it on a tray covered in hardware cloth helps too. If they lay in wet, dirty bedding they get ammonia burn.
View attachment 3806122

View attachment 3806123
what is the brown blanket type stuff on the first picture? do you put the bedding under that? i like that idea

we are using chopped hay, that’s we were told to use from the store we bought them at. i’m thinking of switching to pine shavings. we were told to use a chicken water dispenser, we’ve tried putting it in baking trays to collect the water and and extra tray under that for extra protection but they still seem to splash a lot of it on their bedding
Definitely don't use hay as that will mold quickly. Shavings, and change as much as possible. @cheezenkwackers has some good ideas for the water container.

what is the brown blanket type stuff on the first picture? do you put the bedding under that? i like that idea
That is rubber shelf liner. I only put it over the shaving for their first week after hatching. After that it is difficult and expensive to keep clean. Doggie pads covered with several inches of pine shavings and a non- chicken waterer will be a game changer for you. Sadly, people at feeds stores are not given any training on poultry care.

That is rubber shelf liner. I only put it over the shaving for their first week after hatching. After that it is difficult and expensive to keep clean. Doggie pads covered with several inches of pine shavings and a non- chicken waterer will be a game changer for you. Sadly, people at feeds stores are not given any training on poultry care.
yea, at first i thought we would need line shavings but we were told to use hay, and i have felt like it doesn’t retain a lot of moisture. i definitely will be trying pine, doggie pads and new water method. thank you for the tips

Back
Top Bottom