Can one chicken lay 2 eggs in one day, as it's first eggs ever?

cswartout

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 17, 2008
Columbia County, NY
Our 6 month (and a few days) old chickens presented us with 2 eggs today, the first. My wife is convinced that one of the hens (a silver laced Wyandotte) laid them both.

Is that possible? I imagine it is, but figured you folks would know better than me.

Thanks for your expertise in advance.

Not likely,

But yes, it's possible. I've seen a hen lay one in the AM and then again late in the afternoon.

I do not believe it is possible. I thought pullets and hens had a 25 hour cycle. The reproductive system takes 25 hours to produce one egg. I am not a professional though!
idunno.gif

I suppose it is possible. My wife was not exactly guarding the coop every minute.

The only reason I posted this is because the were the first eggs we have gotten from these chickens whatsoever and it seemed odd to my wife that only one hen was seen in the nesting box.

Could it be possible that she (then hen in question is named Lucy) made one and since it was her first, didn't "drop" it yesterday??

If she/they had been laying for a while, I would not have written in with this query.

I must admit, it was strangely nice to get first eggs in mid-December.

in answer to the earlier question, we have 5 hens who will lay brown eggs and one who will lay blue/green eggs. Both eggs were brown.

Both eggs were in the same box, which does not surprise me at all.

Anything is possible with chickens, but im thinking its 2 different hens.... Its very possibile that the other hen just wasnt seen in the box laying an egg.

Quote:
That's my guess. I'm thinking that while my wife was doing yoga upstairs, one of the hens was laying the first ever egg of our mini egg empire. Sure would be nice to know who.

Quote:
That's my guess. I'm thinking that while my wife was doing yoga upstairs, one of the hens was laying the first ever egg of our mini egg empire. Sure would be nice to know who.

Put a camera in the coop, then you will know. LOL !!!!
funny thing is some people do !!

My little bantum cochin gave me 2 eggs a day for a month when she was first laying. It was amazing! I know it was her because, at the time, I only had red sex links and and one EE. Her eggs are smal champgne colored ... the others large brown from the red sex links and green/blue from the EE. She has regulated herself to 1 a day (recently finished up her molt, so no eggs for now.)

Back
Top Bottom