Can I treat this case of Bumblefoot without Surgery?

RidiculousName

In the Brooder
Apr 19, 2023
Little Egypt
One of my Anconas has lumps on the balls of both her feet. Here is a picture of the worst one.

Today, I put her in an Epsom salt bath for 20 minutes, and sprayed blu-kote on her feet. I don't have any duck shoes for her.

I plan to do the same every morning and afternoon until she heals. Is there anything else I can do for her?

received_1825918551138402.jpeg

How has she been walking?

I don’t see any inflammation in the leg - which would be an indication that the infection has spread/ a much larger problem.

As long as that remains the case, you can likely successfully treat it without busting out the scalpel (it’s easier than it feels like it would be...)
3x daily soaks would be best if possible, even just for the first few days.
Sometimes I’ve had to add a second bowl next to my soaking tub so they have something to drink besides the salt water...
Try to work the edges of the scabs loose after soaking.
Vetricyn is great. It would be even better if you can come up w a way to wrap her, so you could add triple antibiotic ointment as well.

Cleanliness is a huge must when you are in this process. I would suggest putting her into a “hospital pen” while treating her, so you can keep her space as clean as possible.

You can also make a “shoe” by cutting a “duck foot” shape out of a plastic container, and using vet wrap to keep it in place.
You will need to wrap up to the ankle to keep it on, and not too tight.
It’s a PITA to get off, and re wrap all the time.... but it’s cheaper and more immediate than buying/ waiting for “shoes”

I have had luck keeping the foot clean and dry by keeping the duck isolated, clean and dry for a long period (weeks) use a duck boot and drawing salve. In my case i used a dog exercise pen about 6’ diameter and kept them in the.basement for a while. The bumbles disappeared, the feet healed and shes been doing well all summer.

Back
Top Bottom