Can I tell if my nearly 2 week old Ameraucanas are going to be black, blue, or splash?

They're your birds and your preference. I was merely trying to show you some things to look for in the future when you start mating birds. Lacing is extremely important in all blue varieties. The quality and even quantity will quickly decline over generations if not carefully protected and selected for.
Thanks for the info! Just disappointed with myself that I could have easily chose to keep the better colored one, but I just didn’t know. When I look up the breed standards, for whatever reason, there isn’t really much info on what to look for in each variety of the breed. Next time I’ll know what to look for in a blue though.

When I look up the breed standards, for whatever reason, there isn’t really much info on what to look for in each variety of the breed.

I've also had a hard time finding solid info about blues.

I haven't been able to find photos of show-quality Blue Australorps so I'm comparing my blues to photos of Blue Andalusians and hoping it's at least close. :)

Does anyone know where we could find official standards for varieties of purebred chickens? I always see the breed standard but not specific info of what you want to look for in each variety.

Oh, good to know. I thought it was a medium blue with lacing that was wanted.

I could be wrong.

I've been unable to find photos of show-quality Blue Australorps.

@Amer took these photos of a Blue Andalusian at a show this year:

7949855-1bfd44010d64edbe3b0569ebc02950bd.jpg

7949854-02928b7dcd7fec28da7b55a9ce61a350.jpg

I don't know if other breeds can attain that intense-looking blue with the super-strong lacing or not.

I could be wrong.

I've been unable to find photos of show-quality Blue Australorps.

@Amer took these photos of a Blue Andalusian at a show this year:

7949855-1bfd44010d64edbe3b0569ebc02950bd.jpg

7949854-02928b7dcd7fec28da7b55a9ce61a350.jpg

I don't know if other breeds can attain that intense-looking blue with the super-strong lacing or not.
The only breed I’ve seen it on is Cornish. It’s because the black lacing is caused by a pattern gene and melanizers. The field color of Andalusians isn’t dark, it’s a medium blue.

Back
Top Bottom