Can I separate my ducklings?

hi! im currently raising chicks but i have raised many ducklings in the past. however, i have never had to separate them and they did almost everything together. I do completley recommend that you wait until they look to be full grown (i fyou can) to separate them, because i feel that it is easier for them when they mature. They might not notice one duckling being taken away, but that one duckling would, so sell them in pairs. Typically in the wild the mother duck and her ducklings would be weaned from eachother naturally so i dont see it that big a problem for the other six t be taken away from you. They would get used to it, and eventually forget. I recently lost an adult hen to her pnemounia, and it didnt seem that my other hens noticed when she left. Thats why i recommend doing it at an adult age. (same story with my ducks, lost one, and the others didnt notice)
Thank you! Unfortunately we probably won’t be keeping them too much longer, we didn’t expect this many to hatch and don’t have the space for all 8 of them! As you said though, I think they would be okay if we separate the group. Hopefully they won’t get too stressed but I’d imagine they would eventually adapt without them all. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Hi,
I’m new to this and hoping someone can help me with the ducklings that I have. My family and I hatched out 8 ducklings recently and are looking to keep two of them and give away the rest. However, my sister is concerned that they can’t be separated from each other and should stay all together. We currently have three adult ducks and would add the two we want to keep with them but don’t have enough backyard or coop space to keep more than two. We also hatched them out in an incubator so they were not raised by their mother and we think they may have imprinted on each because of this. So is it bad for us to separate two of them from the other six? Could that have bad consequences or will they eventually get used to it without the others? They are about three weeks old and are a mix of Khaki Campbell’s and Indian Runner ducks.

I appreciate any help or experience anyone has with this! Thank you!
They will not care either way i just think your sister doesn't want to get rid of any of them

Back
Top Bottom