Can I ferment pellets?

I want to start fermenting. Can I started with the pellets I already have? Also, is layer feed ok for roosters? I read the high calcium can be hard on their kidneys.

Almost any food can be fermented whether for chickens, humans or other animals. I'm surprised at the answers above, it's suggested that roosters DO NOT get the high levels of calcium found in layer. If the boys are at least 18 weeks old, I'd go ahead and finish off the layer you may already have. But I would suggest a all flock or flock raiser with oyster shells on the side so they boys aren't forced calcium in which they don't need.

http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/2013/02/calcium-mixed-flocks-vs-mixed-feeds.html

Almost any food can be fermented whether for chickens, humans or other animals. I'm surprised at the answers above, it's suggested that roosters DO NOT get the high levels of calcium found in layer. If the boys are at least 18 weeks old, I'd go ahead and finish off the layer you may already have. But I would suggest a all flock or flock raiser with oyster shells on the side so they boys aren't forced calcium in which they don't need.

http://naturalchickenkeeping.blogspot.com/2013/02/calcium-mixed-flocks-vs-mixed-feeds.html

X2
Some folks are ok with the long term damage excess calcium does to male birds, but that needs to be something you consider and decide for yourself and your birds

Thank you. I have 4 chickens: 1 rooster, 1 laying hen and 2 pullets (born in May). I am not sure what the previous owners fed them. Since the pullets are almost of laying age, I'd like to continue the layer feed. I have 2 sets of waterers/feeders (1 set in the coop run, which I can close off and 1 set in the run. When I open the coop in the morning, I could try to isolate the hens in the coop to eat and then feed the rooster his own feef, or is all purpose feed always ok for layers of I supplement with oyster shells? How do you with mixed sexes do it?

I don't have roosters, but you can use an all flock feed and oyster shell on the side for the girls.

I ferment my layer pellets, and keep dry accessible at all times. They don't eat much dry, but I like to have it there for them. They get 2 big spoonfuls of fermented every morning, and whatever treats I have for them. Usually some leftover veggies or whatever they have on the "seconds rack" at the local supermarket.

One thing on the fermented feed - I got Feather Fixer once, it was horrible. It fermented fine, but stunk like you wouldn't believe. I can't remember what brand it was. The Dumor layer feed is what I use, i know the Feather Fixer wasn't Dumor.

Thank you. I have 4 chickens: 1 rooster, 1 laying hen and 2 pullets (born in May). I am not sure what the previous owners fed them. Since the pullets are almost of laying age, I'd like to continue the layer feed. I have 2 sets of waterers/feeders (1 set in the coop run, which I can close off and 1 set in the run. When I open the coop in the morning, I could try to isolate the hens in the coop to eat and then feed the rooster his own feef, or is all purpose feed always ok for layers of I supplement with oyster shells? How do you with mixed sexes do it?

You don't want the pullets to have layer until they're laying. Personally I'd switch to a all flock type (18 to 20% protein) feed and offer crushed oyster shells for the layer until they're all laying. But as said previously you don't want the rooster to ever be on layer. Pullets & the rooster's growth can be stunted by too much calcium as well as the risk of kidney damage. Layer is designed for birds that are currently laying no one else. I'd be worried about the non laying pullets even more so than the rooster.

ETA: And yes, the layers (along with the rooster) can be given an all purpose feed their entire life with oyster shells on the side for the layers.

Last edited:
You don't want the pullets to have layer until they're laying. Personally I'd switch to a all flock type (18 to 20% protein) feed and offer crushed oyster shells for the layer until they're all laying. But as said previously you don't want the rooster to ever be on layer. Pullets & the rooster's growth can be stunted by too much calcium as well as the risk of kidney damage. Layer is designed for birds that are currently laying no one else. I'd be worried about the non laying pullets even more so than the rooster.

ETA: And yes, the layers (along with the rooster) can be given an all purpose feed their entire life with oyster shells on the side for the layers.
Ok great!

Back
Top Bottom