Can I Breed An Olive Egger Pair?

alexa009

Crossing the Road
6 Years
Apr 6, 2017
Texas
My Coop
My Coop
Hi, I was wondering if it is ok to breed an Olive Egger hen with an Olive Egger rooster and expect the offspring to be Olive Eggers. Will the offspring still lay olive eggs as they should? If I couldn't breed the roosters then I feel like they wouldn't serve a purpose and really wouldn't have a reason to be kept. Any help is appreciated!

Hi, I was wondering if it is ok to breed an Olive Egger hen with an Olive Egger rooster and expect the offspring to be Olive Eggers. Will the offspring still lay olive eggs as they should? If I couldn't breed the roosters then I feel like they wouldn't serve a purpose and really wouldn't have a reason to be kept. Any help is appreciated!
You can breed a pair of olive eggers but it is unrealistic to expect their offspring to lay the same color eggs because of the different egg color genes involved. There are already many threads posted on this subject which you can find by using the search function.

I agree.
You could still use the olive egger rooster to breed with dark egg layers or white egg layers. In the first case the offspring may lay khaki or olive eggs. Crossed with a white egg layer, they may possibly be a diluted version of olive but those are just guesses on my part.

Back
Top Bottom