Can hair dye flumes harm my duck?

sawyer88

Hatching
5 Years
Nov 4, 2014
I have a almost fully grown khaki Campbell named coco. Today I was sitting on the floor dying my hair in my room and like usually I let her walk around and nibble on things. She kept wanting to nibble my shirt and hair, I have dreadlocks so she enjoys to nibble on them. So I'm dying my hair not really thinking anything of it as she nibble around the ground. I warned my boyfriend to not let her grab my dreads. When I was done and about to stand up she grabbed on. i was hoping she didnt get any dye in her mouth. Twenty minutes go by and I'm gonna was out the dye and shower. My bf and I always bring her in to the tub with us cause she enjoys it. But she freaked out when i tryed to pick her up, she usually doesnt. so We left her out of the shower. When we were done she wouldnt let us touch she kept freaking out. we took her back into the room for food and water. She kept trying to get away from us and would eat or drink and is now having trouble standing and is very shakey and unstable when she stands.

Was it the flumes from the dye or maybe she ingested some. i didnt know this would happen didnt think anything of dying my hair in front of her. What could be wrong it her. Right now we have a fan on low pointed on her to give her fresh air and a container of water.

I would get her to a vet stat, either it is poisoning her, or some chemical in the dye may be causing an allergic response.

If you take her to a vet bring the package from the dye, so your vet could see what chemicals are in it. There also may be a phone no. for accidental ingestion of the dye- at a poison control center.

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

So sorry about your duck. I agree with Drumstick Diva, the dye maybe causing an allergic reaction or she possibly ingested some of it. You might try some sort of flush on her if she will still drink. And Epsom Salt drench, milk or molasses drench to help flush the toxins...https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700526/flushes-for-aiding-in-toxin-removal

If you can find a vet, I would get her there as soon as possible. You can also post this in our emergency section for more help as well...https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

I hope your duck is going to be ok.
hugs.gif

Welcome to BYC!
frow.gif
We're glad to have you.

I'm sorry about your duck! Definitely post in the Emergencies section. Good luck with her.

I hope your duck is better soon.

Welcome to BYC and please, follow up and let us know how she is.

Hey guys thanks for the support. I was going to wait till the morning to take her to the vet keeping a close eye on her all night. My bf and taking turns checking on her. i even try the Epsom Salt drench, thanks twocrows, i was hoping that would help she did drink a some of it. This morning she seems back to normal letting me hold her, she walking just fine, eating and drinking and just being her normal self, thank god I was scared I was going to lose her. I think the epsom salt did the trick. im still keeping a close eye to make sure is fine and if she does start to go down hill again im taking her straight to the vet. Thank you all again.

Hey guys thanks for the support. I was going to wait till the morning to take her to the vet keeping a close eye on her all night. My bf and taking turns checking on her. i even try the Epsom Salt drench, thanks twocrows, i was hoping that would help she did drink a some of it. This morning she seems back to normal letting me hold her, she walking just fine, eating and drinking and just being her normal self, thank god I was scared I was going to lose her. I think the epsom salt did the trick. im still keeping a close eye to make sure is fine and if she does start to go down hill again im taking her straight to the vet. Thank you all again.
I am so glad she is doing better!!! :) I hope she makes a complete full recovery.

Back
Top Bottom