TundraFang

Crowing
Jul 31, 2021
United States
So I have two Cornish X pullets that have been squatting for 1-2 months now. They haven't laid but my Barred Rock rooster has successfully bred with them many times. I'm wondering if anyone has successfully bred Cornish X because I've read they have bad hatch rates.

Yes. Takes a while. My hens didn't start laying till 7 months.

Cockerels are so big and ungainly they have difficulty doing the deed successfully.

The offspring will not be true CX. Though they may provide valuable genetics. There are a number of CX hen offspring chicks in my culling project, about half got the "size" genes, the other half were typically sized, an all got the dominate white gene. The few who have aged up some all appear to be relatively late layers, as well.

Most people trying to breed CX to obtain some of the genetics do so by placing the birds on feed restricted diets to slow their growth rates and keep the weight down. Helps with mortality, but they remain very "brittle" birds.

I kept one 2016 CX pullet and bred her to a random mix roo. Used 2 of her cockerels for breeding. She died at 1 yr and one cockerel died at 18 months. The other lasted 3 yrs. Most of my flock are out of her. Cockerels dress out around 6 lbs at 16 weeks.
Interesting! Do you have any pictures? I'm not going to eat them because they're my pets but if needed I will put them down. Currently they are 100% free range and I do not feed them at all. If they want to eat they have to go find it. They are about 10lbs each and are fully feathered and able to walk. I'm hoping they start laying soon so I can see how the chicks turn out. I'm just curious what other people have done.

Yes. Takes a while. My hens didn't start laying till 7 months.

Cockerels are so big and ungainly they have difficulty doing the deed successfully.

The offspring will not be true CX. Though they may provide valuable genetics. There are a number of CX hen offspring chicks in my culling project, about half got the "size" genes, the other half were typically sized, an all got the dominate white gene. The few who have aged up some all appear to be relatively late layers, as well.

Most people trying to breed CX to obtain some of the genetics do so by placing the birds on feed restricted diets to slow their growth rates and keep the weight down. Helps with mortality, but they remain very "brittle" birds.
They got up to 20lbs at one point but I began feeding them less and now they're sitting steady at 10lbs and completely free range on 10 acres.

Do you have any pictures?

KIMG0013.JPG

KIMG0009.JPG

So I have two Cornish X pullets that have been squatting for 1-2 months now. They haven't laid but my Barred Rock rooster has successfully bred with them many times. I'm wondering if anyone has successfully bred Cornish X because I've read they have bad hatch rates.
My Cornish Cross pullets hit 4 months and they also started squatting with no eggs yet. Anyway as a side note on their temperament, I just put some 3 week olds chicks with a Cornish Cross pullet and she did not peck them. She was alone for about two weeks and she was starving when I put the chicks in with their crumble. I thought she would be more aggressive towards the food, but she was really cool about letting them eat with her. I am impressed with the character on this one.
DSCN0309.JPG

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom