Can an Aseel rooster be kept with non game birds?

SanamsChicks

In the Brooder
Apr 10, 2018
England, Buckinghamshire
Hi everyone :thumbsup

Il try keep this as short as possible! My brother owns some Aseel chickens, two cockerels running with 6 hens I think. The roosters are brothers and raised together and were totally fine together until this morning when he went to feed them he saw they were both not looking too good! One looked very bad and he has decided to give that rooster to me to rehome as I already have experience with chickens and own hens. My hens currently have chicks and I am not comfortable letting him near them as aseels are generally quite aggressive. Once he is fully healed I was wondering if I place him in a dog cage with them in their shed will they get used to each other? My current hens are old English games and these were given to me by my brother after they were badly attacked by his aseels after a failed attempt at intergrating them. Their chicks are silkies which are quite docile and prone to getting bullied. So my question is can I ever let him run free with my hens without him attacking them? Don’t have much experience with roosters in general so not sure what to expect!
Tia for any advice!
I’ve attached an image of his damage to the head! Not sure if he will even recover.

Attachments

• 20003ACD-BF72-4AA4-B97F-A1709AB72AD6.jpeg
    20003ACD-BF72-4AA4-B97F-A1709AB72AD6.jpeg
    574.5 KB · Views: 187
I kept an aseel with my hens for quite a few months, I can confidently say he never attacked them or their chicks and was a really good boy. I would add pictures of him dustbathing with the girls but they’re on my laptop .
Overall, in my opinion, if you carry out a careful integration and it goes well, he’d be fine to live with them

Watch roosters carefully at first, especially in new flocks. But game roosters of any sort are often the very best fathers a chick could ask for, clucking for feed, and sometimes babysitting the kids. [Mature] Roosters are rarely really involved in the hens' pecking order, unless a dominant hen decides to challenge them. My current boy is far more interested in breaking up hen fights than starting them.

No personal experience with Aseels, mind you.

All my hens are free ranging and this rooster has been in a pen all his life so not sure how he would adapt. Plan to keep him inside the shed but with mesh door so he can still see the other chickens and see how that goes. He’s still quite unwell so hoping once he’s on the mend he can go outside. Would he not attack chicks that are not his own?

Aseels are good daddies. Very gentlemanly toward hens. Will kill other males, or die trying. Aseel hens don't get along with any hen they didn't grow up with and stay with without interupption. Aseel hens don't get along with any cock bird that is not able to woo and quickly dominate. The hens are very good chick raisers. Their troublesome ways are not really a problem, just pen them. They don't mind confinement and prefer to be alone. Here is an Aseel/Thai brooding his chicks. Common behavior for this type of bird. Just keep in mind that as combs start turning red, a father is not inclined to do anything different than instinct dictates and cull the ones that aren't smart enough vacate the premises after a little warning. They will leave the pullets alone (but after a while the hen will drive them off, around the time she starts laying).

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    291.1 KB · Views: 138
I’ve attached an image of his damage to the head! Not sure if he will even recover.
He will be fine. That is minor, still has all his parts. Should be fine in a week. My aseel chicks will look like that all the time, if you don't have a hen raising them. Or better yet a cock bird. the ones that get into it on either side of a fence are the worst. The heads look the same but they feet take real damage.

They don't know which chicks are theirs by the way. Any of your colder bred chicks will give him a wide birth at the appropriate time, and if they are free range, he will let them be as long as they don't posture toward him or get in his way. Penned up he will kill them as they start to develop masculine traits.

Today he had one eye slightly open and wound looks a bit better then before. He ignored the chicks that I placed near him (also have some chicks being hand reared about 4 weeks old). I think he’s too concussed to try woo the other hens and just ignored them but this evening he did manage to perch on the roost to sleep. We’ve turned our shed into his new private headquarters so hopefully he settles down well. I’m used to bantams and he looks quite intimidating although he didn’t mind me handling him and was hand fed all day today.

Attachments

• 963A9422-ED26-42C4-8679-15A362F23A5E.jpeg
    963A9422-ED26-42C4-8679-15A362F23A5E.jpeg
    341.8 KB · Views: 122
Defiantly Seperate mom and chicks to where they can be seen by all flock.I think your concerned about them fighting.Their gonna fight,almost always.Him being the only rooster he may be willing to step up to the table,but they must have a some sort of order.

You have to handle the fighting,that’s part of keeping chickens,escpecially introducing them.If the fighting continues for over two weeks,maybe try reintegrating the trouble makers.If he just is attacking them,get rid of him.

Even regular breeds fight,and some fight just as bad as an aseel or any other type of bird bred for fighting.

Back
Top Bottom