Calling Speckled Hen.

Standard Hen

Songster
12 Years
May 17, 2007
Massachusetts
I do not know if you remember but I posted about a Barred Rock that I thought for sure looked like a roo a while back. You posted some pictures of one of yours that you thought also was a roo and turned out to be a hen.
Well,,,,I thought for sure it was a roo is a hen. I could have swore she was going to be a he and all of a sudden she miraculously changed her looks completely. Soooooo, I guess you never eally know in some cases.
idunno.gif

Speckled Hen did the same for me. I posted a pic of my Mr. Speckles and she kindly replied - "you do know that's a pullet?" Well of course she was right - Mr. Speckles layed her first egg yesterday. I still call her Mr. Speckles though. She is huge and with a huge waddle and comb.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
LOL, they sure like to fool us sometimes! Barred Rock sexing by the color and headspot is fairly accurate, but there are those little rebels who defy our rules. My Lexie was one and until he was six weeks old, I was almost positive her first baby was a girl then BOOM! Comb and wattles suddenly popped out. Every chick of hers will be a special challenge to sex, I think.
Glad your boys turned out to be little rebel rule-breakers! I love my Barred Rock roos, but there's only so many one can have. Eggs are way better!

I still do not know how to do pictures, my daughter is supposed to show me if she can ever get the time. I would like to know how you all do those box type things in your messages when you repeating what someone says? I do not have a clue and never mind the avatar or whatever it is!

This is simple... REALLY! and for any reason your images are too large, simply edit the size and resave them to where-ever you save your images on your PC. That was the only problem that I had.

How to use Photobucket to Post Pictures

1. Sign up for a free Photobucket account: http://photobucket.com/register.php?link=register_now

. Find the Uploading panel, it looks like this (except with your name, not mine, lol) :

3. Enter the image file name or click "browse" to find the file in your computer. Click "add more images" to upload multiple files.

4. Click "uploading options" for a drop down size menu and select "message board size" or smaller to resize your photos while uploading.

5. Click "upload". When Photobucket is finished uploading, scroll down to see your photo. The photo is a thumbnail, click on it to see it full size.
Now is the time to resize it if you forgot to do so while uploading it. It will look like this:

6. Now the easy part ..... you can copy the Img Code just by left clicking on it, and then paste it in your forum message.

Note:

The URL Link is for linking to the photo. The image itself will not appear, just the URL for the image.

The HTML Tag code is used to post on websites, eBay, MySpace, etc.

The IMG Code is used on message boards (such as our own). It will post the actual picture.

For more detailed instructions :

Here is the Photobucket tutorial for uploading a single image to your photobucket account from your computer:
http://tutorials.photobucket.com/tutorial_3.html
Here is the Photobucket tutorial for uploading multiple images to your photobucket account from your computer:
http://tutorials.photobucket.com/tutorial_39.html

And, here is one more link to helpful instructions on uploading and posting pictures:

http://p072.ezboard.com/fbackyardchicke … =453.topic

Please Preview your message before posting.

chel

Last edited:
Speckledhen, does the headspot ID work on Dominiques, too? I'm asking because the first thing I noticed when I got my chicks was that the two Doms had different-colored headspots: one was a lemony yellow and the other was white. Does that mean anything?

Amy

Thanks Chel,,,but I do not even know how to put them to my computer from the camera! I know, I live in a cave and I will save what you wrote so that once she shows me that we can go from there to the computer!
Thanks again.

Amy, I dont believe the headspot color has much to do with sexing, but the size and shape does. As you may have read, larger, splotchier headspots usually indicate boys and tidier, smaller headspots are most times girls. The barring on the males is wider, making him appear more silvery than black and that is a better indicator, but nothing is 100% accurate.

Back
Top Bottom