California Urban Chicken Friendly Cities

Quote:
Quite rude, I'd be peeved, but then again, I'm what my hubby calls 'quick and firey'. She basically asked you to leave the city to realize your dreams... isn't that very unsupportive of the type of position she is supposed to represent. I'd keep that letter on hand should you approach another councilperson or higher up... it was definately not meant in the supportive community spirit.

Irregardless, I would also like to use parts of your letter for my own approach to changing my residential limitations. I sincerely hope you can acheive what you have set out to do; you must keep us updated as your success could mean leverage for the rest of us. Keep trying! Keeping backyard Chickens has been an unquestioned entitlement of residential living in the past, lets bring it back!

Quote:
Can I just say I'm sorry about your neighbor... holy cow, I guess there are people out there who have nothing better to do and never put themselves in others' shoes... I laughed hard at the sarcastic reference to the house with the patio over cliff backyard. Maybe your neighbor needs regular medication.

I hope you can keep your chickens!

You can add Oxnard CA to the list as a very friendly city. No more than 25 rabbits or chickens. Noise violations likely will exclude roosters, but I haven't seen them excluded specifically.

So I was wondering for Oceanside. Is it 35 feet from the neighbors house or property line? I want to make sure I am good if we decide to do this.

Hello, I'm in Ceres (Central Valley on hwy 99) and we are a small agriculture town but we are surrounded by two larger cities that allow backyard chickens Turlock (south) and Modesto (north). Our town has decided that we cannot keep backyard chickens. I am currently an outlaw and I was wondering how to start a petition or how do I get the city to change their mind? Our town has a 4h chapter and I am one of the poultry leaders and our chapter is made up of 90% "city" kids and most of them are primary age and can only show small animals in which the poultry group is very popular. Help! What can I do? I don;t know where to start.

Hello, I live in Chowchilla, CA. I currently have a hen, last year the city rule enforcer warned me about my hen (neighbors complained for no reason) I got rid of one and kept one hen. However he told me I should go to the council meeting and talk about allowing chickens in the city for the 3 minutes they give to talk. At that time I didn't know anything about the rules or anything. Now I'm planing on doing something to change the rules and see if it is possible to do it. The code enforcement men is pretty cool, I have talked to him maybe 3 or 4 times, he also seems pretty comprehensive. I have no idea of where to start acting, should I go to the council meeting or should I write a letter to the code enforcer men? could I also use your information modified for my city?

Thanks.

Honestly, I'm living by the seat of my pants. I have not gone to any city council meetings to change the code in my town. I have 9 hens and no complaints so far. There are threads on here with great info about this subject. I'm sorry I'm of no help.

Can you add pleasant Hill, can?
The local ordinance allows for 5 small animals, which includes hens, no roosters, pigs or other farm animals. Nothing else said about how to keep them, however the 5 could also be understood to include your indoor small pets like cats or rabbits. There dogs Max is separate. So far code enforcement has interpreted this to mean 5 hens Max, without regard to indoor pets!

Back
Top Bottom