California-Southern

Hi there! I'm technically in Central CA- but I didn't find a thread for us central people. Hoping to have some luck here maybe.
I have 4 hens in need of rehoming, 2 Easter eggers, 1 barred rock, and 1 gold laced wyandotte. These are hens that are dearly loved as family, but unfortunately, we can no longer care for them. I prefer for them to be able to be rehomed together, but I can also split them into groups of 2 if necessary.
The wyandotte and barred rock are about 3 years old and were still producing eggs this summer. The 2 EEs are older and have basically retired from laying.

I am looking for a home that will let them live out their natural lifespan and not butcher them. We are located in Fresno. If interested, I am happy to further discuss and provide pictures!

Hi everyone! It’s looking like I have 2 cockerels. 😢 They are a little over 4 weeks. A “Green Queen” Easter egger and a buff Orpington. They are very friendly and sweethearts. Does anyone know of bird sanctuaries or places where they could go to a good home? Planning on keeping them for another few months but wanted to get plans in place. Willing to travel.

@Chickole -- it's getting rare to find local sanctuaries. Many livestock properties are hesitant to bring outside birds onto their land cuz of biosecurity issues. Check out rural areas like Palmdale/Lancaster, Riverside County, or Central Calif Valley areas for sanctuaries. And if you discover a place post it on here for future reference. My one sanctuary farm relocated out-of-state so I have no recommendation now :(

I took a break from BYC for a few years - life, you know, and coming back and seeing how quiet the San Diego thread is made me.... sad? IDK. Was thinking of making a new thread, but it seems this one is still active from time to time. Anyone in SD County, hit me up. Would love to talk chicken ^^

@QueenofKings -- As you say life happens. Welcome back! Haven't heard much on this thread for awhile either.

Just some general info I want to add. I've had many different breeds of chickens in the last 13 years but as a senior I decided to add only easy-to-manage Silkies as our flock diminishes.

We used to buy our DNA-sexed Silkies from Amber Waves Silkies in Norco but their site has gone dead (they were in business since 1982) so we looked to find another local Silkie breeder where we could pickup chicks in person. We found one Silkie breeder in San Diego which is too too far to travel since we're in North San Gabriel Valley - a trip to San Diego is too long a travel for this old senior.

The next Silkie NPIP breeder with Mareks vaccinated/DNA-sexed female Silkies is Buckaboo Farms in Orange County. We picked up our 3-chicks order yesterday. We made the trip during later morning hours to avoid early morning rush traffic. Because DNA-sexed Silkies takes longer to fill an order we were willing to wait til the breeder had the exact order done.
BUCKABOO 3 CHICKS  01-16-2024.jpg

Buckaboo has a website for Olive Eggers, Sky Eggers, Showgirls, Silkies, Satins, Laced Silkies, Copper Marans, D'Uccles, and more if anyone needs this general info.
https://buckaboofarm.com/

What a beautiful trio of girls! It's been a long time since I've had pure Silkies and yes, they are a lovable, low maintenance breed. I think the most problems I've ever had with them is just them insisting on being broody for over a month. But, alas, no roo is here to entertain said gals, so all their eggs are taken away by me.

It's interesting to see what's popular now compared to 10 years ago! I swear, Black Copper Marans are all the rage down here. I also remember when people here were figuring out reliable Olive Eggers and it wasn't as easy as ordering a batch of eggs or baby chicks for it online.

@QueenofKings - Copper Marans never went out of style cuz they're used not only for chocolate eggs but also used to create Olive Eggers. CMs have only gained momentum since their first introduction.

I loved the gentle temperament Blue Bredas a few years ago but their low gene pool created health issues and breeders discontinued them. - so sad.
Phaedra Close Up 2.jpg

As for Silkies they are easy for this senior to raise. They can't fly out of the yard, lay decent-sized eggs being a larger size bantam at 2 to 2.5 lbs, and we just lock the Silkies out of the coop nextbox and usually they break broody in 2-4 days. Otherwise they'll never leave the nestbox if we don't break them. We're used to dealing w/ Silkies for 13 years :)

Waiting to take turns laying eggs in same nestbox!
GINNY-SUZU NESTBOX JULY 2021.jpg

Another favorite standard size breed for us cuz of their gentle outgoing people-friendly temperament are Dominiques. They were the best breed to keep around Silkies.
DSCN8466.JPG

Hi, I’m back again. Seems I only come on here to rehome chickens these days! We’ve had a death in the family, I lost my husband suddenly, and I need to simplify…

I have the following chickens to rehome, preferably for $20 each:

11 Amber Star hybrids who r still laying daily rain or shine
4 “55 flowery hens”

That will leave me with 6 chickens and that will be much more manageable going forward.

I’m in North Hollywood.

I’ll check in here every couple days for responses. Ty

Attachments

• IMG_9577 Copy.jpeg
    IMG_9577 Copy.jpeg
    475.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8843 Copy.jpeg
    IMG_8843 Copy.jpeg
    653 KB · Views: 7

Back
Top Bottom