Calcium for nestling Mourning dove

Monarch Mama

In the Brooder
Jun 28, 2023
I have read that if a nestling dove has a “weak/favors one side” neck, calcium deficiency may be the cause. If so, how much supplement is appropriate in a 1-1/2 cup of formula?

First of all welcome to BYC :welcome
Second, I own a large breeding flock of diamond doves that are breeding all spring and summer. I normally grind up some cuddle bone and turn it to power and I mix a bit of that cuddle powder into the formula for baby doves I'm hand rearing. I use a teapoon for every tablespoon of formula as I don't need to use a lot of formula

First of all welcome to BYC :welcome
Second, I own a large breeding flock of diamond doves that are breeding all spring and summer. I normally grind up some cuddle bone and turn it to power and I mix a bit of that cuddle powder into the formula for baby doves I'm hand rearing. I use a teapoon for every tablespoon of formula as I don't need to use a lot of formula
Thank you! Happy to be here:)

So to clarify you add 1tsp of calcium to 1tblsp of formula? I had no idea I could give it that much….I’ve just been doing about a 1/4tsp of powdered calcium + D3 in about a cup of formula. Then just use that mix to feed for a few days….am I under supplementing?

I have a rescue mourning dove with a weak neck. We are on day 10-12 of his time with me and day 6 of supplements. I’m noticing improvement but afraid to over/under do it.

Back
Top Bottom