Votes: 9 1.9%
  • Yes

Votes: 459 95.8%
  • Have in the past

Votes: 11 2.3%

• Total voters
whoops...wrong thread!!!

Last edited:
Save that shady area for your greens and brassicas. Put your sun lovers where they will get the most sun. congrats on the new space to be.

I was talking with a young woman at church today. She has a young family, and loves to buy my eggs. She's hoping to start a garden this spring. She said, "I hear that kale is easy to grow. I'd like to try some of that." She says she's never grown a garden before. Most likely has not done any outdoor gardening. So, of course, I offered to come to her yard this spring, and help her plan out her garden, and figure out the best gardening style for her. Oh... the passion of it!!!! Creating a new gardening addict. I urge you all to look around, and find someone near you that you can mentor!!!!
That's really cool! :)

Live in Central California near Yosemite. In the 20s at night, 40s and 50s in the day. Want to start seeds in the potting shed/greenhouse. Any suggestions?

Hi Everybody. I was reading another gardening thread where I ran across some links about Back to Eden gardening and Hugelkultur posted by @lazy gardener

So, an hour and a half later of reading and more googling on the subject, and I have a question. This seems to be the best most frequented gardening thread to ask on. Does anybody know if you can make a Hugelkultur bed around one big giant tree trunk log?

This thing is like 12 feet long, and a foot or two in diameter, and it's going to be impossible to move, and even difficult to cut up with a chain saw. If I could just leave it where it sits and build an HK mound around it, that might solve my whole problem. But I'm wondering if the piece of wood is just too large for the concept. All the examples I could find show them using multiple logs that are much smaller.

So any of you HKers have an opinion on this? Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi Everybody. I was reading another gardening thread where I ran across some links about Back to Eden gardening and Hugelkultur posted by @lazy gardener

So, an hour and a half later of reading and more googling on the subject, and I have a question. This seems to be the best most frequented gardening thread to ask on. Does anybody know if you can make a Hugelkultur bed around one big giant tree trunk log?

This thing is like 12 feet long, and a foot or two in diameter, and it's going to be impossible to move, and even difficult to cut up with a chain saw. If I could just leave it where it sits and build an HK mound around it, that might solve my whole problem. But I'm wondering if the piece of wood is just too large for the concept. All the examples I could find show them using multiple logs that are much smaller.

So any of you HKers have an opinion on this? Thanks!
I apologize, I don't know much about HK gardening. I would probably just build a raised bed around the thing and let it rot inside the bed. I went and got some pine straw for my garden and when my wife came out she showed me this
we have twin girls!

Back
Top Bottom