BYC Café

It is, sadly, inevitable; the hamlet is accessed by a single track wiggly stone-walled (so totally unforgiving) lane about 200m long, with a bend about midway such that you can't see beyond it. If two cars meet going in the opposite direction, the unwritten rule among the neighbours is that whoever has passed the bend has right of way, and the other one has to reverse either to the bottom of the lane or to our drive, which are the nearest passing places down and up respectively. When you are no longer able to reverse your car up or down the lane in the dark and the rain, you know the clock's ticking; of course no-one says anything, but we've all lived here decades, we've watched older neighbours reach that point, and we know what it means. You need all your faculties working in reasonable order to drive out here - besides narrow lanes there are livestock wandering round, tractors round blind bends, and tourists towing caravans whose width and weight is beyond them. People don't stay long beyond the milestone of having to ask a neighbour to reverse their car for them. The oldest neighbour is in her nineties, so it's not necessarily imminent, but the day will come when we need to move closer to town, and facilities in walking distance. The bus service isn't adequate to replace driving, despite the free bus pass here for wrinklies.

I've not heard that before; meaning 'you can't take it with you'? If so, I know that, but I expect to live a bit longer than I will be able to live here, and there are kids waiting to inherit! In fact I've just spent my rainy day savings on one of them (the consequences of covid most definitely counting as a rainy day year!)
Yes, I know what you mean. Luckily we already had most parts of our home remodeled to senior citizens' needs, when we took in my father in law, who then was using a wheel chair to get around.

I agree this clip looks ridiculous.
However, there is a reason for it. It's claimed that leaving the pompoms on the leg joints and not clipping the torso would help keep those areas warmer in the water and shaving the rest of the lower body would prevent them getting water logged while swimming.
Shaving the face and tying the hair in a top knot with colored ribbon helped owners identify their dogs in the water.
Yep, have read that....but, still.

I intentionally bought a home I could make single level living.
My Bro(75) just built a single level.

Mine is not, the folks I bought from had to sell because of the mans hips issues.

A friend of mine who is 10 years older than I lives in a tri-level. She loved it when she moved in 20 years ago; it was like a tree house. Now it's not as convenient; no single floor has everything (bathroom, bedroom, kitchen), so it's always up and down steps.

I asked my hubby how old he thought we'd be when we couldn't take care of ourselves, and he said, "I hope we're dead by then." We'll see how we feel in another 20 years. Maybe something less remote will become more attractive.

20 years from now, though, this area may not be so remote, either. 🤔

Good evening Cafe.
There's a jug of hot chocolate on the stove for those who fancy a cup.
Lovely day but a bit chilly now. Going to be a dry night according to this lot.
P3160688.JPG

strip the dead hairs before using the clippers? Or do Lakelands shed on their own?
Both, sort of. I give him a good brush and then comb with a special comb, and he does indeed shed, all day, every day :barnie Those damn fine under-hairs float absolutely everywhere :barnie:barnie:barnie
Evidently he didn't read the manual; Lakelands aren't supposed to shed!

Back
Top Bottom